My 4yr old has just recently gotten a rotten streak

It seems like over the last week he has become deliberately snotty! He is perfect when he is at the sitter, she never has a problem, but the second he gets with me he is stubborn, and insolent, and snotty! He refuses to listen, I send him to his room, literally 3+ times a day and when I ask him if he thinks he is being bad he will scream yes. Its like he is purposely being a brat. Is it an age thing? A boy thing? Or just my kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Seems like you and me and the rest of CM with 4 year old are complaining about this lately...like within this week. I have no advice as i cant even figure my child out. :( Hang in there.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I am with you both. My now 5 yo has been a control freak for a year now. It drives me nuts. She is fine at school, even got an award for her behavior. And does just great with her friends, but when it comes to her sister she tries to control everything she does, like a toy. When it comes to me she argues with everything, from food to when to do her chores. Even when I say we are eating one of her favorite foods or if she picks it. She still has to argue with it. She gets to pick her cloths, her lunch, choices in what to do in her free time, the activities I sign her up for.
    I used to think it was becuase the last 2 years have been hard with numberous seperations from Daddy and moves. But we have been here for 4 months. And we all are asleeping better, and seem to have relaxed. I have told her many times we are staying put for a few years.
    I am tired of sending her to time out and the battles, she is not a teen.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Original Poster:
    He has always been really good when we go out places, but recently he throws horrible fits in public. At home its not AS bad, but we have gone to the grocery store, restraunts, you name it and we end up in the bathroom so I can talk to him about his behavior and he then has a time out.
    Daddy has been gone 10 months on deployment, so I dont know if it is just now starting to bother him or what.
    A friend watched him for me and he was great but the second I walked in the door he was a brat and when I left her husband said what happened to him? he was so good and she walked in and it was a different kid.
    I have him in soccer, an art class, a creative movement class, park every day the weather permits, so I dont know what it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• School is doing it to my DS too, but I nip that crap in the bud real quick 7 let him know just b/c the act like that he was not.
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Man my son is 3 your telling me i have to deal with this for at least another year
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Is he your only child? Do you get some one on one time with him? Maybe is is over active, some kids dont like all the activities, he may need a down day.

My 3yr almost 4 in nov, has been getting a real attitude too, My hubby was gone 6months for military and he really acted out then as well, so I made sure to find some one on one quiet time with him when my baby was sleeping.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 2:08 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my niece got the same way when she turned 4. when I or DH had her she was a angel. But around mom and dad she would do things like that.
    normal I guess.
    Anonymous

• I have to laugh at his screaming yes part, when I was a kid I did the same thing!
    "aren't you ashamed of yourself?"
    "NOPE!"

I got such a kick out of seeing the responses for that one!
    Anonymous