Not Vaccinating your Child...Child Abuse?

I know this topic probably causes a lot of controversy, but I'm really at a loss after what they doctor told me yesterday. I refused to sign the "refusal to vaccinate" paperwork at my daughter's 6 month appointment. I signed it at her 2 month and didn't like the way it was worded. I had since read that I wasn't required to sign it, so I didn't want to. The doctor came in the room and told me that she couldn't do a check-up unless I signed the paper, so I said, "Ok, that's fine, we'll leave." As I was dressing my daughter, she stood in the door-way and said "I consider not vaccinating your child child abuse." Can there be any reprecussions for her saying this to me? I know not everyone agrees with me not vaxing, but I don't think that my choice not to is abusive to my child and I think she shouldn't be allowed to tell a parent that being that she's a doctor! Is there anything I can do? Thanks for any opinions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well I consider vaccinating child abuse.

Tell her that she needs to do some research.

Regardless of whether she is a doctor or not I would have asked her on what basis...and then ask her what research she has done on the subject.

I would never let anyone talk to you like that. I know its hard but if you start making your own decisions especially ones that go against the norm you will get shit like this. Its not nice but you have to deal with it. I know how you feel...it just want to avoid it but sometimes you cant.

I would find a different doctor or someone who doesnt advocate vaccines...and file a complaint.

Yes you are with her for an opinion but a MEDICAL one.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• she's allowed to have her opinions. that's what you are paying for afterall. it's not like she called and filed a CPS report.

if you and doc don't see eye to eye, find someone else.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would file a complaint against that doctor for was said. That was completley out of line and un called for. I would be furious if I were you, I'm sure you did your research and chose what you felt was right for your family.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• what's she going to say in her complaint? that doctor was meeeeean to me. If the doctor really considers it that egregious, she can tell her that. there's nothing wrong with it, it's her opinion.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• cont. OP doesn't have to accept her opinion, nor is she forced or compelled to continue employing said doctor.
    teri4lance

• Personally I would just find a new peds... We went through 3 of them in 6 weeks because of threir views on vaccinating... There are a huge amount (and growing) of doctors that will stand behind your desision or even agree with you... Find one and switch! Don't let people like this get to you! They are just going to bring you down!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• This is how I feel,,,,If you do not vaccinate your child and your child gets one of those illnesses..Your child is not the only one who has to deal with that illness..Your child will give it to other children,,,Then there will be an epidemic on or hands..

Answer by louise2 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• hold your head up and walk away if thats the worse thing in life you had to deal with that day than you were blessed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree with the doctor. But she should not have said that. I'd find a new doc that will turn the other cheek...
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 10:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if that is her medical opinon, then she's got a right to it. mom also has the right not to employ that doctor. are we going to file a complaint everytime we disagree with a doc? this isn't about whether vax is good or bad, but whether a doctor can give you her medical opinion. clearly she thinks non-vax is gravely bad. that's not a legal offense. if you don't like her opinion, fire her.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2008