How would you handle this?

My Son is 8 years old. He is in the 3rd grade. He has a hard time keeping things organzied and turning in school work. This year the grade system is totally different and they have A LOT to keep up with. We know that my son has ADD or ADHD. Now that it is affecting his grades we are talking to a doctor. In the mean time. My son is failing the 3rd grade. Not because he can't do the work but, because he is not turning it in he is stuffing it in his desk and is VERY forgetful when it comes to bring home things to study and homework. Is it me or would you feel like the teacher could give him a little extra guidance? She is aware of all of this and knows he is failing. For example.. They had a noun quiz thursday and he did not turn it in! So he got a 0. I am wondering what he was doing when EVERYONE in the class was taking the quiz. I feel like she could say something like. IF YOU TURNED IN YOUR QUIZ RAISE YOUR HAND. MORE...

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• And then say zack did you turn in your paper? I know there are atleast 15 kids in the class but, is just going to let him fail? I don't feel likek she is doing anything to HELP him.. In science he has not turned in ANYTHING at all. I am doing everything I can to help him but, I can't be there all the time. I just feel like it is her place as his teacher to give him a little extra guidance so that he does not fail when she herself said he was very smart that thats not the problem... What do you think?
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Keep in mind. That she KNOWS what is going on. She even said he could make up the science assignments..But, yet she has not sent home the assignements or given him time do so...I make him bring home everything in his desk once a week so I can organize everything for him I put notes on everything and I have talked with the teacher a few times. I am doing everything I can.. I just need her to help!
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The major problem is nowadays they are teaching these kids way too much way too early school today is nothing like when i was in school for example my daughter turned 10 this year so when i went to talk to her about puberty etc.. she says "mom i already know most of this stuff" IDK how you other parents feel but it pisses me off i DONT need a stranger telling my child about her body and the birds n bees thats MY job they are now teaching these kids about animal reproduction in 2nd grade i kid you not my daughter was assigned to read a book and it actually said the word sperm i shouldnt have to hear the word sperm come out of a 7 year old mouth! they teach complicated math in 3rd grade its things like that that make you want to switch to homeschooling my faith in the public schools system is going downhill fast!!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 12:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Have you spoken to the principal or a school counselor about his problems and the teacher not addressing them well? That would be my next step if just talking to her isn't getting any results. It could be he needs a different teacher or a smaller class if possible.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• This is yet another example of why I home school my kids. This teacher really seems that she doesn't even try to help your son. That is Bulk Honkey in my book! I feel for you mama, I really do - but I feel worse for your son. Imagine how this is affecting his self esteem! Poor little guy! My oldest is now almost 14 yrs old, but this was her in the 3rd grade and even though the teacher KNEW she had cognitive disabilities, SHE STILL INSISTED MY DD DIDN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH! I was like B!TCH - I'll show you who's not trying hard enough!!

Mama, do whatever you have to do for your son. I ended up taking mine out and home schooling her. It took us 2 yrs of 4th grade for her self esteem to come back a little - all because a teacher in 3rd grade didn't giva sh!t and couldn't do that extra step for her! Don't let this be your son! GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You need to take him to a doctor and get a diagnosis so you can get him an IEP (Individual Education Plan). Then you can work with the teacher and the guidance counselor on what your son needs to succeed. My son was in 3rd grade when we did that and he's now in 9th and doing so good. He takes Concerta every morning which basically just helps him to concentrate. Even last year we were still having some homework issues but he suddenly decided that being in high school, he had to get it together. Good luck.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• bump for you - GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Sounds like your school is similar to my daughters old one :-( If your son has been diagnosed as add or adhd, you have the right to have the school do a IEP (individual education plan) that will come up with and require accommodations for his disabling condition (and yes, add and adhd count!) Good luck at getting the school to do their job...we left our old district after several years of incompetence and my spending nearly every day at the school. Some of them just don't want to "get it." Check to see if there are homeschool or alternative programs in your area.
    Arisa

Answer by Arisa at 4:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2010