Is being born gay the same as being born an alcoholic?

On Sunday, Buck made clear that he believes being gay is a choice, although he said that birth may have some "influence" over it -- such as with alcoholism:

So its a choice but you are born with it?

Just an FYI
According to all major mainstream medical and mental health professional organizations, sexual orientation is not a choice. As the American Psychological Association has concluded, "[M]ost people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

video
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/17/colorado-senate-debate-ken-buck-gay-alcoholism_n_765670.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ken Buck is a twit. I'm embarrassed to say he's from my state. What he's saying is completely stupid, but that's not surprising.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I come from a long line of alcoholics. This means that I have a predisposition to become addicted to alcohol. Therefor, I choose not to drink.
    I have that choice.
    People are born gay, they aren't born to have a predisposition to be gay. They do not have a choice as to who they are attracted to. just as I don't have a choice as to who I am attracted to.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Okay, that's just ridiculous! While no one chooses outright to become an alcoholic, they do make the choice to start drinking and they make a choice to continue to drink rather than get help for whatever issues are driving them to that... Homosexuality on the other hand, is something you simply can't choose... It's amazing what some people think.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• being an alcoholic is having a disease, a life threatening condition.
    homosexuality isnt even related . there is no comparison.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 12:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• People don't 'choose' to be gay any more than straight people 'choose' to be straight. The only sexual orientation I see as a choice is bisexuality. As for alcohol, there is research that indicates the tendancy for addictive behaviors may be genetically related.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• ALL of my friends and relatives that are gay have said that they KNEW it pretty much as young as puberty. They tried to deny it and date the opposite sex, but they just didn't feel right about it. My uncle was even engaged to be married to a woman and called it off just a few week before the wedding because he could not go through with it.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i feel like i want to be sick. i cannot believe someone just related homosexuality to being a birth defect. what is wrong with people?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 12:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Being born an alcoholic? LOL! There is a predisposition to addiction, but nobody is born an alcoholic.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Being born prone to addiction doesn't mean some choice isn't also involved. I come from a family with many addicts, which is why I stay away from alchol and cigs, wouldn't even take the pain meds my doc wanted to give me after both births, made them give me LESS of something LESS potent

____________________--
    I did the same thing! I will have a glass of wine now and again, but won't touch a cig and it's written pretty clearly in all my charts that if a doctor suggests something narcotic, or anything higher than a level b, I'm going to FIRE him. However, I believe this is learned behavior.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• "Did you CHOOSE to be attracted to your husband?

Yes, I did CHOOSE to be attracted to my husband. I'm not an animal who is unable to control myself. I have the ability to say, yes, this person is an appropriate person to be attracted to, so I will explore this friendship to see if it can progress to the romantic stage, or to say, no, this person is not an appropriate person to be attracted to, so I will not allow this friendship to progress to the romantic stage.

I made the choice."

No you made the choice to act on any attraction - not to have the attraction. I am attracted to some of my male friends, but I choose not to act on it because I love my husband and respect our marriage AND I respect the friendship I have with my male friends and their s/o's. But I'm still attracted to them. It's a chemistry/hormonal thing. I can't help who I find attractive - I can just CHOOSE whether or not I ACT on it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010