How do I get my 3 year old to go to the bathroom by himself?

He can do the whole routine by himself (for 6 months now!) but wants me to stand and watch. He says there are monsters otherwise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Awww! how cute..I mean I know for you the cuteness has worn off by now but how cute. I would maybe buy him some potty training DVD's. They really get kids wanting to do it themselves. And also I would try to slowly make your way out of the bathroom , each time. Or maybe say something along the lines as, "If I am standing outside the bathroom the monsters won't show up?" Or tell him that you talked to them monsters and told them to leave him alone, that might work too.thier imaginations are so vivid at that age, telling him there is no such thing as monsters might not go very far...
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Give him a little spray bottle with just water and label it "Monster-B-Gone" Tell him all he has to do is spray it and the monsters will stay away while he pottys. This worked for a friend of mine whose little boy didn't want to sleep in his bed for the monsters underneath.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2008