rolling over

My 4 1/2 month old rolls over constantly now. i keep finding her on her belly at night and putting her back on her back, heres the problem. because of this i am not st sleeping at all. i am so terrified that if she rolls over SIDS will get her and i will lose my beautiful little girl. her doctor said once she competently rolls over her chances decrease but to keep it in my head. I know its rare but i cant seem to relax. I wont let her sleep in her crib because of it, she sleeps in a pack n play next to my bed so i can constantly check on her. please help ease my mind and give me ideas on how to keep her on her back. please dont bash, im a terrified new mom. also i lost a sibling a few years ago at a young age (21) so now im scared something will happen to her....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't they sell a thing that stops a baby from rolling over...Babies can lay on there stomachs when they start controlling their neck muscles,,can move there head around when they are on there stomach..Put her on her stomach in the day time and see if she has control of her head yet..

Answer by louise2 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Calm down. As long as she can roll over and move her head with no problem her chances ARE decreased. Make sure there is nothing in her bed except a small blanket. And she should be fine. both my kids started sleeping on there stomachs as soon as they figured out how to roll over. The first few nights I was a nervous wreck, but after a few nights relized they would be okay. They sell sleep positioners that help keep them in one place at night, but you will find that if she is determined to sleep on her belly she will find a way.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My mother lost two girls to SIDS before I was born, so naturally I was quite paranoid after we had our little one- especially since she spent her first 4 weeks in the NICU after major surgery.

My pediatrician and daycare provider told us as soon as they are able to roll over on their own, and are past the 3 month age mark, sleeping on the belly is safe.

Oh, and we had one of those stay-put things, she rolled up and over it, its a waste.

You cannot get our baby to sleep on her back. She is now almost 8 months old and thriving. Take a deep breath, check on her as often as you like. She'll be fine.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• go to your local walmart they have this thing that you can put on them that they cant roll not sure what they are called we had one for our newborn when she was born cause i was scared but after a month i let her loose on her own again and now she is also rolling over at night i dont worry as long as she doesnt have any blankets or things in her crib she will be alright my daughter is 4 months and 5 days.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 11:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• you'll wear yourself out trying to keep her from rolling over now! LOL Just make sure there are no suffocation hazzards in her crib (no loose bedding, no stuffed animals), and make sure she's dressed warmly but not too warmly. Sleep positioners are not safe once the baby can roll, so don't bother. Once she can roll on her own, it's safe to let her sleep how she wants too. :) Take a deep breath, you're doing fine, mama, now get yourself some sleep. :)
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• you can look into it more but the newest studies I have heard say that (believe it or not) it's more herditary then they thought before and the others are right in saying that once they can move their head around real well u really don't have as much to worry about. and as for checking on them in the middle of the night lol I do to all the time when I wake up. even though i know he will be fine I still check.smile mini

orion618

Answer by orion618 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son's 7 months old and I still check on him a few times every night. However, he can roll completely over, sit up alone, and crawl, I still struggle with it. We tried the crib positioner, he out grew it before he was even a month old. All I can say, is don't try and position your baby, that can be more of a risk than a help, and just relax some, as long as your baby can hold it's head up, there is a lesser chance of sids.
    DLucas4108

Answer by DLucas4108 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008