• In the Spotlight:

Angry

When your little one(s) get angry how do they show their feelings? is there something specific they do like bang their head? drop to the ground kicking etc.? or just simply cry & cry? : )

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• With the children that I work with, I've seen it all! The anger can go from throwing themselves on the floor, kicking and screaming, to being agressive and trying to hit a parent, to throwing whatever is in their reach. The list goes on! Head banging usually occurs accidentally at first. It was part of the anger/tantrum that just happened. What usually causes repeated head banging is the reaction of the parents or whoever witnessed it. Your first reaction is to run and grab them and pick them up so that they don't get a head injury. The learn that that "technique" works in the way that any time they try to get their way and they throw their head down, someone comes to their rescue! The best thing that you can do with a headbanger is get close to them, put your hand under their head to protect it and turn your face away. No eye contact. No talking. You are protecting them, ignoring the behavior and etting it to stop!.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• alex becomes very defiant about EVERYTHING and anything and usually has a meltdown including stomping, door slamming and screaming in his room.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 1:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When my son was little he would hit his head on the floor or the wall, now that he's older he goes to his room and cries or goes to sleep. I guess it's safe to say he doesn't handle his emotions very well.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• stomping, crying
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 1:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My LO stomps and cries and yells, and throws anything in his sight lately. It really frustrates me, especially because he was not this way before..
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When my kids were little, they threw things (blocks, hot wheels) but I trained them to hit a pillow. So they would.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When my son gets mad he throws his toys or something nearby. Throwing can mean picking something up and throwing it to the ground or taking his arm and sweeping the toys off of a surface. Then he proceeds to whine, cry, and throw a fit. That can last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on how tired he is or why he's mad. We're working with him on how to control his throwing. On rare occassions he'll walk up to his 11 month old sister and smack her, especially if she's the cause for him being mad. But he rarely does that.

My daughter she just has an all out tantrum. Goes right into full on cries.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• all of the above!! lol
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 2:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• for while there, my DD was hitting & kiciking. Man did that make ME angry! I would just get on her level, say no kicking/hitting. I would ask her to tell me what was bothering her & we would talk about it. Now she says "I am very ANNNNGGGGRRRYYYY!!!!" She screams that. But she only says it once so I will take that over the crying & hitting/kicking.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010