Do you expect personalized care from your daycare provider?

My friend has a 2 1/2 year old in daycare. She let's her kid sleep in till 10 and then gets mad when the daycare people ask her to stop bringing her in late bc it affects naptime. I told her naptime is when they prepare activities and take their break. But she says that since her kid comes in late they should have no problem giving her kid the attention they give the others kids in the morning. She doesn't get that if you choose daycare your kid is not getting personal attention. She's part of a group only.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• In order for daycares to run smoothly, they need to be on a schedule. It would be great if every child could be on their own schedule and get personalized attention, but that is not ideal for the daycare.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• she sounds very immature and selfish. wow.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 1:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• She doesn't get that if you choose daycare your kid is not getting personal attention. She's part of a group only- this statement is completely ridiculous!!!

You absolutely should expect personalized care from a daycare. I worked in one for 5 years and I gave personal care to each child and each family, that being said there is a schedule. The reason they are asking her not to come in late, is so she is up earlier and can nap with the other children. Nap time is dark and quiet and I'm sure there isn't much for her daughter to do during that time without waking the other kids.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Daycares have to operate on a strict schedule. If she wants to continue going, she's going to have to adjust to their schedule.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• it goes both ways, personalize care yes, child on time in order to nap with group yes, your friend is hanging out or up to late and is to lazy to get her and baby up , baby is also up late
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 1:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree that it's unreasonable to expect the day care to attend to her particular child's sleep patterns at the expense of the entire room's schedule and thus well being. However I disagree when you say "She doesn't get that if you choose daycare your kid is not getting personal attention. She's part of a group only." - If a daycare is being run that way then it's not being run well either. I expect personalized care for my child in day care, if he's cold I expect them to put a sweater on him, if he says he's thirsty I expect them to give him a drink, if he's misbehaving I expect them to discipline him. It is not a commune. While they do plenty of things AS a group (such as maintain a sleeping schedule) they are not treated as one. They get individualized attention.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• you have to have respect for a daycares schedule. your child is NOT getting individual attention every minute of the day in a daycare.its impossible. so for your child to have a good structured day and the other children to as well, a parent has to respect the schedule. being lazy and entitlted is rude and if i were the provider i would refuse to care for the child further. there are always more kids needing a good daycare
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 1:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010