aggressive behavior?

My 19 month old has started to get kind of aggressive with my older son (3 years). Usually they go back and forth between "fighting" and getting along.. but lately when they aren't getting along my 19 month old will try to bite or push or scratch my older son. My mom has told me to bite him back but I dont think thats what I want to go with. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

joscelyne

Asked by joscelyne at 1:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a time out in the crib!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I've started doing that. I've also tried explaining when he's calmed down about feelings and how he's gurting brothers feelings when he does that stuff. Do you think that any of that is getting through to him at 19 months?
    joscelyne

Comment by joscelyne (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• sounds like your 19 year old is having some frustration issues. since children at that age cannot communicate thier feelings, they usually do resort to biting. i would say you will need ot be actively and exhaustingly redirecting your children till this phase passes. you cannot keep the littler one in a crib constantly. he is going to have to learn that this behaviour cannot be tolerated.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 1:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I definitely try to redirect I dont like resorting to any punishment really I would rather talk it out or redirect. Although he talks more than any other child I know his age. He can usually tell me what he wants or that he's made or it one of the big boys have pushed bumped or hurt him. That is usually when he gets aggresive when they are playing and one of the older boys (my 3yr old son or 3 yr old nephew) does something he doesnt like whether its on purpose or not.
    joscelyne

Comment by joscelyne (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I hate to admit it but I play a game with my son like this. If he bit me, I bit him back. If he kicked me I kicked back. Of course I never hurt him. It was more to scare him. He would cry and thats when i played dumb. "what's wrong? oh that hurt. But you bit.kicked mommy. how about we dont bite or kick anymore? it took a few days but I no longer have a biter!
    1andcounting

Answer by 1andcounting at 12:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2010