How can I get my daughter off the pacifier?

My daughter is 10 months old and I can not take away her pacifier. Anytime it is out of her reach she screams and screams and eventually makes herself throw up. I want her off it before she is a year, but I'm afraid to take it because of the throwing up. How can I slowly ween her off?

dmreiter

Asked by dmreiter at 10:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I cannot wait for the replies... my Niece is 2 and she is very much addicted to the paci... she calls for it when we take it and then throws tempertantrums... my sis didnt want to take it from her because she was teething... and now shes old enough to ask for it.
    Kryssi17

Answer by Kryssi17 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• im trying to figure out the same thing. my son is 1 years old still teething and i need the same advice and for the bottle 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Throw them away relieve the temptation of giving it to him or her. Yes they will cry but after a couple of days they will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• good answer :)
    Kryssi17

Answer by Kryssi17 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We didn't take my oldests daughters away until she was almost 3, before that we made it to where she only used it to go to sleep. When she was almost three we used the "pacifier fairy"method. It worked great.
    As for Anon 9:40..replace the bottles with sippy cups, they make these great transition cup they are made by Nubby. My oldest daughter liked them and the ones that have staws.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You really just have to let them cry it out or find something else that distracts them from it, like a teething toy. And like the above poster said, throw them away to avoid temptation.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• For both of my sons is was COLD TURKEY. They got over it within a week. But.....IT WAS A ROUGH WEEK....lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My daughter just turned 1 and I threw them away, it was hard the first couple of nights but she is over it already.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• With my neice they put some icky stuff on the pacifiers... she would try each one and when she found they were all icky she didn't want them anymore. (but she was 2!) But it still might work.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The ONLY thing that worked with my sons was snipping the ends off the pacifiers. The older boy took one, put it in his mouth, realized he couldn't get a good suction, and was happy to hold it in his hand but never put another one in his mouth. It was about a week before he threw them all away himself. His more stubborn brother continued to chew on the clipped pacifiers, so every week we clipped a bit more off them, until they were all the way back at the plastic and he couldn't keep it in his mouth anymore. It was a slow transitioning process, but it avoided the usual crying that comes with taking them away cold turkey.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2008