What is the best formual? Should I ask Ped. before adding some formula to BF baby's diet?

My 3mon-week2 old is on a nipple strike and I just want to make sure if I can't pump enough that I have a back-up. This morning I could only pump 1oz and I don't know want to do.

jennybee8434

Asked by jennybee8434 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would definitely ask your pediatrician which formula to use. Each kind has different supplements and vitamins and such in it. Your ped would know exactly which one your baby needs.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If your baby will take a bottle try using a nipple shield to nurse. It's kind of this soft plastic nipple that you place over your own. You can pick one up just about anywhere. Sorry I know nothing about formula.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• During a strike is the LAST TIME you should be introducing a bottle to the child!!!! It will further confirm their choice to not nurse because they learn that getting milk out of a bottle is FAR easier than nursing. DON'T DO IT.
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Have you checked baby's mouth for signs of thrush? White patches that look like milk but will not wipe off? A lot of babies that have thrush refuse to eat because it hurts so much. Don't forget that without treatment it can be continually passed back and forth, mama needs treatment too.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Whatever formula you choose make sure you stick with it, switching formula's can cause an upset belly. You can also make your own formula, it's a lot cheaper and just as healthy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i was exclusivly breastfeeding when my son at 3 months old did the same thing, i could only pump 1 ounce at a time, i didnt even know that there was such thing as a baby going on nipple strike, but i ended up going to formula because he wasnt eating and was really cranky. i would really do what YOU think is the best for your baby. I mean for me, pumping was not joyful at all and ended up more as a chore than anything else. But now im having problems finding the right formula for my son (he is now 5 1/2 month old) GOOD LUCK
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm not sure it matter what formula you use as long as your consistent. If one starts causing problems then talk to the doc about why it is a problem and how to fix. The doc is going to recommend the general type of which ever brand they have samples of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Ok..here is my story.I breastfed for a month and a half.My nipples bleed the whole time.I was told to keep trying.I used shelds did not do any good.I also was only pumping an oz in 20 min.I needed healing time.But at the end my nipple was so chewed up (it just now has healed back)I gave mt Daughter Similac.Whatever you choose will be fine.Just ask your PEDI.My daughter was colic so we used Similac Soy Formula.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Good Start, DHA/ARA orange can... good on tummies.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'll tell you what, a lot of babie's are allergic to some of the "nutrients" they put in similac, so ask your pediatrician for samples before you try anything. We went through about 30 can's of differen't formulas and still have a bunch left from my son, eventually we put him on Enfamil (the plain yellow can - with lipil) He's now doing so much better.
    DLucas4108

Answer by DLucas4108 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008