constipation in 1 year olds

my twins have been constipated for a while.
i've tried prune juice
fruits
water
yogurt
the activia yogurt helps a bit, it makes their poop softer and more normal but they are still having a hard time with their BMs its mostly just that its too big to poop? i know thats TMI but its concerning that it is so painful for them to go to the bathroom :/

any advice?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stay away from apple juice and dairy
    get Benefiber and add it to their drinks and food, miralax is good but costs more...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had this problem with my daugther she is now 17 months i had to get a prescription from her doctors. I know how painful it is to see them in pain. She would bleed and half the poop would be stuck right at the hole. I would put her in a warm tub with baking soda the doctor said it would help her relax.
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 2:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The doctor gave her miralax to take daily
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 2:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Probiotics would help too. Sustenex is a good one. comes in a capsule form & can be sprinkled on food. Healthy bacteria in the intestinal track is always beneficial in keeping us regular. check with your pediatrician first to see if it's ok to give to them. Activia is good for them, but there is not enough probiotics in that to really do much good. Fiber is good, but be careful with fiber drinks or additives. too much fiber can actually cause constipation, as it absorbs a lot of the water in our bodies, needed to keep the bowels moving.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 3:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010