When should I start stage one baby foods?

MrsDenbo

Asked by MrsDenbo at 2:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After about 6 months and after he/she has mastered rice cereal and oatmeal. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Its up to you. I waited until 8 months to introduce baby food.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My first I started a little after six months, my second was a little after seven months.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ṁ̭̥̈̅̄y S̤̥̈̊ÖN̤̥̈̊ started †ő eat banana smoothie and rice cereal å† 4 mo.
    ChristianaChen

Answer by ChristianaChen at 3:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Sixmonths or later. It's a waste of money though. just give fork soft table food. It's the best thingvwe ever did. check out babyled solids partivularly the gil rapely article. no teeth requeired. my 13 month old eats whole apples with no teeth
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I know docotrs always have a certain time line they think is best. But every baby is different, my oldest son did well with just the breast. But Eli my second son he wasnt gettin satisfied with the breastmilk alone. And cereals just constipated them both, Eli started with stage ones around 14wks. If you think your babys is ready or not getting completely full than it never hurts to try it. Your baby will let you know!
    adyssonsmommy

Answer by adyssonsmommy at 3:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My doctor told us when ever she seems ready. My daughter was eating rice cereal and oatmeal at four months. Then when she became bored with that she started in on the jars of baby food. She was around 4.5 months old. My husband first gave her a little mashed banana, that he mashed up while we were out at a diner. Seeing as how she ate it, swallowed it, and clearly enjoyed it we decided to keep feeding it to her. Her doctor was fine with this. Every baby develops differently, and you as a parent know your baby the best. I found in speaking with other mothers, they seemed to start when their child no longer felt full after a bottle. They were throwing away so much money for formula since the child required excessive amounts of it, to feel full. My daughter is happy and healthy and I went on instinct. I hope this helps.
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 4:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When she's ready. General recommendation these days is to wait until at least 6 months. Best thing to do is watch your baby for particular signs of readiness, like sitting up, using the pincer grasp, picking up small items, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, etc.

You don't have to use baby food at all. I didn't with my second, and it made things so much easier. She didn't start solids until 7.5 months, at which point I just gave her pieces of whatever appropriate foods we were eating. She ate what she wanted, no extra cost for us, no extra time for preparation (as opposed ot making your own baby food), never had to worry about taking food with us when we went out. Best experience overall, in my opinion. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I started mine little after 6 months.
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 5:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I started cereal at 3 1/2 months and stage 1 foods at 4 1/2 months. It all depends on if you feel that your baby is getting enough from formula alone.
    crice913

Answer by crice913 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010