Would you breastfeed another woman's baby? Pt 2

I'm reposting this in hopes I get more responses. I realized I posted the other one in the middle of the night during the dead time. Plus I REALLY want a lot of view points about this.

I'm reading a series by Jean M. Auel, the first book is called The Clan of the Cave Bear. In this series it's really commonplace for a woman to breastfeed another womans baby. Granted, this IS in a time period when formula wasn't around. But it made me wonder. Are there any woman who would breastfeed another woman's child who was unable but still wanted her baby to have breast milk? How about you? I would. A child is a child.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I have done it although not for long. when I was breatfeeding a young man brought in his niece to visit a greatgrandmother in the nursing home. a terrible storm came up and we ere not allowed to leave. the baby got hungry and was crying so I took her in another room and fed her. we were snowed in for quite a bit and I fed her I think three times. her mother was so worried about her. I got a real nice card from the mom a few days later thanking me for feeding her baby.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yep. But I don't equate feeding with bonding. It's feeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm...not sure. I dunno. I'd have to be presented with that situation to know what I would do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would if I was a close friend or relative to the mother and child, especially if the baby was a premie or had health problems that would do better with breastmilk (plus premies do great with skin to skin contact). I don't think I could breastfeed a stranger's baby, I would feel uncomfortable, although I would donate my milk to her if needed.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• In modern times,,No I wouldn't breastfeed another persons baby when wethere is formula for the child to feed on..And I would not let my child be breastfed from another lady...

Answer by louise2 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would totally do it, I don't think it would feel the same bonding wise, but whatever I would do it for tha baby. However, if I could get away with just using my breastpump I would do that over breastfeeding. Puls, my breastpump is freakin awesome, so that would make it tons easier.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I've done it, when my foster sister was showing, fed her baby. My son was only 3 days older, and she's also nursed my oldest. When it came time for him to require pumped milk supplementation, I didn't have enough to supply him nursing AND pumped, so my sister pumped out her excess milk, and helped give him the milk he needed so badly.

Its nothing odd to me. Maybe if teh world would desexualize breasts, it wouldn't be so "weird" or
    "gross" or whatever to nurse another child not your own. Would you let your friend's baby use on of your child's binkies in a pinch? How about one of their bottles? well what's the difference aside from the sexual thoughts applied to breasts, even when they are being used for food. >:(
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would donate my breastmilk if someone needed it, but would not actually nurse the baby. That is such an intimate thing between a child and mother that I just wouldn't feel right. Unless of course, we were shipwrecked on a desert island with no bottles around! lol
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would breastfeed any baby to keep it alive or to keep it from being hungry. when I was breastfeeding they really weren't boobs to me I called them milk bags haha
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 10:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have had friends that breastfed each others babies when taking care of them. The idea does not bother me. I had problems breastfeeding my son, a lot of issues. I started pumping breastmilk and have been for 7 1/2 months. I have donated over 1000 ounce of breastmilk to a milk band. So, I guess I kind of do breastfeed other womens' babies, all strangers. :-)
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008