What do you do to spend family time together and how do you get your family to cooperate?

I know we need to spend more time together as a family but I can never get them all on board. Then when I try to make suggestions . Everyones like ,ehh.....and thats about all the response I get. I am married with a 14 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. I usually end up just playing or doing something with the 5 year old. The other two, just don't know what to do to get them involved. Sometimes even I can't think of something good to do together. What do you guys do and how do you get the whole family to actually want to have some family time? I'm about to give up and just let everyone do what they want which means we all go our seperate ways except me and the 5 year old. Sometimes me and my boy hang out, or me and my husband but its proving difficult to get us all together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• A family outing to the park to have a picnic and play a sport such as volleyball or badmitton is always fun. A walk together as a family, maybe a walk to your local icecream parlor or something of the sorts. A camping trip, a barbeque, or a family game night! I love family game night!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Tell them they're doing it and they're going to have fun, period.
    Museum, Aquarium, Card Game, Board Game, making crafts, etc are all ideas for you guys.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The age difference in your children make it a challenge....I had the same issues for the same reason....One of the things that we do most days is have a coffee time together....chocolate milk for my youngest and we basically talk about our day, but it happens naturally....as in the husband walks in and asks who wants coffee....most of the time everyone does and he makes it...we also eat dinner together every night, but we like to eat in the livingroom instead of at the table, and we usually watch a television show together, something light, like old sitcoms.....I find that if I force it, it just doesn't happen, so I just sort of lure them in with coffee or food....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Putt putt is great for all ages, also go karts. Your little one will have to ride with an adult, but tons of fun. You can also make a meal together. Let the older one chose the main dish, like what meat to make and give them free range and let the little one make the sweets and the side dish with you.
    navymom4

Answer by navymom4 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• we play putt putt, hike, picnic, museums, anything outside pretty much, but my kids are closer in age and younger than urs's
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 4:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We go the zoo, park, water park, put put golf, race car driving, etc. We only have one child though...we really love spending time together as a family! :) GOod luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• is your son involved in any sports?? if so they WHOLE family should go to watch and support him.,.. and after all go out to eat or to a to play putt putt or to a movie.. etc make it an OUT night! GL
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Tons of stuff to do with kids of different ages! Aquariums, mini-golf, museums, movies, theme parks, plays, community events etc. I always check the website GoCityKids for ideas of what's happening in my city on any given weekend. Then I make sure hubby is ok with it and we take the kids.
    At home you can play cards, my 6 yr old was a Crazy 8 champion at 5 yrs old, they have board games for all ages like Haunted House Clue that kids and adults can enjoy. Get some sports equipment and play in the back yard. How about a game system like a wii to play together as a family.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone for all the ideas. we do like to play rock band together and we used to play baseball with our son but lately he's gotten into skateboarding and bike riding with his friends. Its apparently not cool when parents try to join in ,lol. Wierd but he seems to be veering away from sports even though I put him in those things when he was younger. I think I've thought of these things at one point or another and forgotten some that I will have to retry. guess it just seems lately that no ones inerested but me and the little one. Hubbies tired, sons a teenager so of course he'd just rather be with his friends. I was just wondering if actually getting your family members to cooperate was a problem for other moms as well. Think I'm going to have to put my foot down and say choose something or I will but either way we're doing something. :o)
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Any other ideas are welcome! I can use all the ideas I can get. Trying to find something that appeals to all ages is sometimes difficult.
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010