Any tips for me and DH...flying with a 7 yr old, a 2 year old and a 1 year old.

I was going to bring the 4 duffles as carry-ons with our clothes (yes they meet the size standards), a stroller for the 1 year old, one car seat (my parents have one at our destination), my purse, the diaper bag, and my oldest would have his "small bag" that you can bring along with the carry on. Do you think I should say F*** it and just check the 4 duffles?

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Travel

• If you and your hubby are the only two adults.....I would check the duffle bags. You have enough to carry and haul around already. My husband and I flew with my 2.5 year old and 16 month old this summer and brought just 2 duffle bags, a carseat, and a diaper bag.....I really regretted not checking the bags! Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Send the majority of your clothes ahead of time - 2-3 days before you leave, along with anything else you'll need there but not need on the plane. Then you don't have to worry about checking or losing, or not fitting. Just have your small carry-ons with an outfit & the necessities. Then on the last day of your trip, ship it all home again. USPS flat rate boxes.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, to decrease the stress of keeping up with the little ones and worrying about duffle bags and strollers too - I think that,if you can handle the additional costs, it's worth checking the duffles. Good luck - as I so remember how hectic it was when my girls were younger (and back then the luggage restrictions weren't so strict and expensive).
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 9:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• no advice but i will pray for strength for you both! LOL
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would. That seems like a lot to carry on a plane w/ 3 kids. Last time i flew with a duffle (about 6 months ago) they would not let me on the plane with it. As i was boarding, they told me to set it aside so that they could check the bag. They will do that if they feel there may not be enough room, because duffle bags usually take up the whole compartment & they like to be able to fit more than just one suit case up there. Just keep that in mind.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• A carry on for your DH, 1 for you and 1 for your oldest. Your DH can use his for 1 set of cloths for each of you. It is always good to do that. Just in case you luggage gets lost. You can use yours as a diaper bag/purse. And the oldest can use his as the kids toys and book for the trip.

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have flown all over the place. To Europe and back, three time. To Hawaii once. And some places in the USA. And never have had my bags lost.  Check the 4 duffles. 

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Agree about checking the duffles. Also, take twice as many snacks as you think you might need. Our son and DIL got severely delayed when traveling across country and she was very glad she had packed tons of food. Have a great time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Check them... we always do, have never lost any.. and I like your advice "louise2" I think we might use that for our trip to Captiva!
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 4:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• OH, and bring a pacifier or sippy for the smallest ones to help pop their ears on take off and landing!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010