Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving out of state with child (Illinois)

I need some info. I will be contacting my lawyer tomorrow but do any of you know? I am only moving 10 mile into the next state which only equals a 30 minute drive from XH to us.
I know I have to get consent from XH. How do I go about that? Does it have to be written down or will verbal do? Also, How do you recommend me going about telling him? Do I "ask" or just politely tell him and wait for objections?
He already asked me 8 months ago when would I be moving so this won't come as a shock to him but...
Also, I have full custody and have no intentions of giving custody to him (he doesn't want it anyway). I am moving in with SO and we will be getting married in the spring.


Asked by Jademom07 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 34 (64,323 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Your best bet is to find out from a lawyer what they define consent as being. If your ex is already aware you are moving, it sounds like he is okay with it, but be sure that you dot all your "i" s and cross your t's so you don't get any nasty legal surprises later on. You may be able to get your legal advice free if you take advantage of the free initial consultation.

    Answer by Arisa at 4:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Does it say any where in your Divorce pappers you can not move out of state with out court or XH consent? I think just go and talk to the lawyer, see what he/she says.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • You better contact a lawyer before you do anything no matter how close it is....state lines are state lines. I have a few family members that have gotten themselves in huge messes over this. Don't just assume he's fine with it. Protect yourself with the facts.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Written! :)

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • I havent personally dealt with this but I would say get written to just cover your butt, because he could always say that he didnt give you verbal and unless you have a recording of it, it would be your word against his

    Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • IL state law says that he has to give consent. Our papers have nothing to do with it.

    I will be calling the lawyer but I didn't know if anyone had done this and what exactly does consent mean? Written, verbal?

    Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010