my child is becoming a brat

How do i make my 19 month old behave. He has so much energy and wont sit stlll. Also he throws temper tantrums and i dont know how to discipline him

mandar

Asked by mandar at 4:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• u have to get him interested in something like painting or coloring..something that has him sitting still and concentrating..my 6 year old has always needed a deterrence from being a "brat".:)
    luzianagurl

Answer by luzianagurl at 4:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would try to a.) Ignore his tantrums. If he doesn't get a rise out of you he may end up realizing it doesn't do anything. OR b.) time outs..works for my kids (for the most part..sometimes she ends up just laughing in my face). Also always talk to him and give him the "words" to have him tell you what is wrong. Even if my daughter is freaking out I will say something like "Are you sad? Did you want to do that yourself?" Or something like that. A lot of frustration comes out of not being able to say what he wants and sometimes you have to give him the words. I think ignoring it, when possible, is such a good way of handling it. Others will say different but if you aren't noticing him when he acts bad why would he continue to act bad? Also congratulate him on being a good boy those times he is being good. I think that's all toddlers!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 4:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Our son's tantrums didn't stop until we ignored them. It was tough for a couple of days, but it worked. Make sure also he is having enough one on one time with you and your SO plus praise when he does something right. Sometimes they go for the negative attention whan they don't get the positive. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2010