Home Daycare Vs. Daycare CenterWhich do you use, and is a center ok?

We currently have our baby in a home daycare environment. We have decided to move her to a daycare center starting December 1st as the location is 1/2 a mile from our home, and we liked it the first time we checked it out when I was pregnant, we passed on it because of the cost and we liked the idea of a home daycare.

Please dont tell me she will get sick more in a center, she has been in home care in a VERY clean environment for 5 months now, and has had multiple colds.

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 11:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We use a private daycare but I have worked in centers when I was in college. I think the main thing is less one on one attention. A teacher will have 5-10 kids depending on how old the child is. If it's a baby the ratio is 1:5. And 5 babies are a handful!
    And although she has gotten sick with colds she probably will get many more illnesses from a center, even if it's clean just because there are more children to spread things around. So not only colds but stomach bugs and stuff... but if she doesn't get it in daycare she would probably get it when she started preschool or whatever... so it's not like it matters that much.
    Centers can provide other things that a private center might not have... more activities, more playmates, often the teachers have more education, sometimes free diapers and wipes... possibly web cams.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I use a day care center and love it. Don't worry about the sick thing. It's good for the immune system. :) I like centers better (not all but in general) b/c there is always someone there (vacations or sick days for the teachers don't matter) and the curiculium is better. It's more structured and geared twoards the age group. You're kids with other kids the same age and skill so they learn from each other.  Just my thoughts.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son goes to a center 2 times a week for 5 hours a day. His sister went to the same one 5 days a week for 5 hours a day. I loved it. I think for me I felt safer that they were in a center that has policies about how many kids per teacher, and how many units of child development classes they had to complete. idk, a home daycare sort of creeps me out, I guess if it wasn't anyone I really knew. It's their house, they make the rules, unlike a center where rules are made at the 'corporate' level. As for my kids getting sick, it was few and far between, and I too think it's good for them to be in contact with other little kids :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son attends an in-home daycare. I researched both and visited with various home daycare providers. I'm really lucky to have found Ms. Linda! She has the big day care center feel in a private home setting. She attends college for Child Development courses and credits.  She has a schedule in place and the kids get a full day of activity.  The older kids learn colors, numbers, shapes, etc.  My son is 18 months and he gets to join in on the educational part as well as the just-for-fun part of it all.

I didn't want my son to be going to a daycare that was just going to plop him in front of the television all day.  I must say I really lucked out with my lady!

Good luck!  

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son was in a home daycare until he was a little over one yr old. I liked him at a private center because I thought he was getting more one on one. However the sitter just stayed on the couch with hardly any interaction except to feed and change diaper. Now at 22 months, we love the daycare center he's at. He gets hugs and kisses all day. There are a ton of toys for him to discover, plenty of friends to play with, and nutritional meals. There's always going to be something you like and dislike about who's taking care of your child. Go with your gut feeling. P.S. My son was born 14 weeks early. His immune system is no where near what a full term baby's is. He's been just as sick in the center as he was in private home daycare. He may have been a little worse in private home. She didn't disinfect stuff like the cetner does. Sorry so long. I just wanted to give you my experiences.
    hlcornell

Answer by hlcornell at 12:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Before my baby was born i live in new jersey and i was most likely going to put my daughter in this really awesome day care center. it had webcams and locked doors and the rooms were not enclosed so u can lookinto all the rooms . there was not one aspect of this place that i did not like. but i had to move to pa and luckily i had know this person who had a private home daycare center very close to where i lived and my daughter has been in there since she was about 2months old and she is so happy and social. she hardly ever gets sick.she has had mild caughs but i expect that. i think its wherever u feel comfortable. i must say the children where she goes to daycare are so happy and friendly. the daycare providers are always holding the children and its just like a family. its whever u feel comfortable putting your child that matters. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010