Headstart|preschool

How old you put your child there?

Bubbles_mommy

Asked by Bubbles_mommy at 4:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you should stay home with your kids as long as possible but mine went at age 3 and 4 because I was ready to get out of the house. I would not put my child in daycare before age 3 they arent ready, dont push it because thats the problem parents think their kids are going to miss out on learning. They wont children learn through play not memorization.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Around 3 years
    Betty000

Answer by Betty000 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ours went to nursery school at age 3
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My oldest went to preschool at 4 and he went for 1 year, my middle child went at 3 1/2 and he went for 2 years, my younest went at 4 and she went for 2 years. Since my older tow children are born in March they did not miss the cut off for kindergarten. My DD is born in November and she missed the cut off so I kept her some for an extra year.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son went to private preschool at 2.5 years old. He went 2 days/week from 9-11.30.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• my son just turned 3 in July & I put him on the wait list so he wil be starting anytime now :)
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son went at 3 and HATED it. His teacher was old and mean. If you ask me it is a long day for a 3 yr old in headstart. I prefer traditional preschool.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Three is a great age to start school if you don't have other mom's with kids around and you're looking to have your child socialize more. Otherwise age 4 is good for PreK so they are familiar for Kindergarten. But honestly, if you don't send them at all and give them social opportunities with other children and teach them some of the academics like letters, numbers, writing their name, etc. A child is just fine without going to school before Kindergarten. Like I said, it all depends on your life and surroundings and what you want to do.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• All 3 of my kids started a develomental pre-k at 3. They all have had speech issues. My middle child has an Autism Spectrum disorder, so he is still in specialized classes. We tried Headstart mixed with the pre-k for my oldest and we all hated it. He got hurt a couple times at Headstart (which he went to in the morning) and it was the Pre-K (which he went to in the afternoon) that actually called and told me. The one time, he ended up having a huge bump on his forehead that stayed for three days. He ended up being fine, but it still freaked me out. After the experience with him, I will NOT send my other two children to Headstart here.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010