WWYD: Buy 1 loaf of bread (that was a healthier choice) or buy an unhealthier choice where you would get 2 loaves for the same price as the other 1 loaf of a healthier choice?

I've been thinking of this most of the day. Earlier I went to the supermartket and I stood there comparing 2 differenct brands of bread. The healthier one was higher in fiber, lower in sodium and a little lower in calories. For the same price you could either get 1 loaf or 2 loaves. I'm not sure if i made the right choice. Which one would you choose?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 4:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Health

• The healthier bread. You can pay for it now or pay with your health later.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i always buy whole wheat bread. i dont even look at the white bread to see how much it is because i buy the whole wheat bread, and if there is a whole bread on sale, i buy that. i dont look at the amount of sodium or calories anything though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would buy the healthier bread if I wasn't broke. But if I had to stretch my budget until payday I would buy the two loaves.

This is exactly why I am learning to bake my own healthy bread at home. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The healthier one, without question.. it sucks that we have to make those choices though..we can get a fast food burger at a drive thru for a dollar, but we have to pay $1.99 for an organic head of lettuce..?? It's truly messed up!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 5:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I solved this problem by starting to make our own bread at home. That said, when I'm stuck in a pinch or back before I did, I spend the extra for the good bread. If you're going through it too fast, start looking at alternatives, like using tortillas or making some meals that aren't in sandwich form.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I face this dilemma weekly, as my kids eat very expensive high fiber bread and my husband and I eat the plain white garage kind. Since none of us could go a whole week without bread I would get both and scrimp elsewhere on the list
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• depends on how much money is in my pocket.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I only buy whole grain white bread, I believe by Sara Lee. I cannot get into regular wheat bread, and feel that's an okay alternative.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The healthy high fiber bread that's more expensive. My LO has poopy issues and I'd rather go without something else than not get her the best bread for digestion.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Usually I would buy the healthier bread, but right now money is super tight, so I would go for the two loaves.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2010