Does anyone else think that kids are growing up way too fast?

Does anyone else feel my pain as the mom of a child who is growing up way too fast (w/ a big push in that direction thanks to some kids at school) Pretty soon it'll be Santa, and thus the childlike innocence starts giving way to the oh so wonderful tweens & adolescent years! I just want a little more time before I have to deal w/ drama & grown up subjects- Dont you?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree, i have tried to nurture my "step"-daughters innocence as long as possible theyre now 11 & it makes me so sad. & with my 3 yr old watching their every move hes growing up more everyday, Plus theyre all 3 sooo smart! I try to spend as much time with my little man & princesses because I know it'll be over before I know it
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son grew up fast because he had cancer that changes the child that has it and anyone around them it was okay because he is awesome now at the age of 17
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh my goodness! There is a baby at my son's daycare who is only 9 months old and sat up at 3 mths, crawled by 4-5 mths, walked by 8 mths and such! She is growing SO FAST! Thankfully my little boy isn't racing to the finish line, lol. But yes... they all grow up so fast before you know it. :( But it is also so exciting to watch them grow as well. :)

Ah the heart aches of being a mommy! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:33 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes they do! My sons are 6 & 4 and already talking about girlfriends and break ups. It amazes me how much children absorb at such a young age
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Not my kids.  I think they are growing up just right.  My 10yo still enjoys playing with Barbies and doll houses.  She also like to hang out with her friends and is starting to get into fashion (thanks to friends).  My kids are just typical kids.  They aren't acting older than they are and aren't coddled and babied either. 

What I always find funny is people complain kids are growing up too fast then complain that 10 is too old to play with Barbies or dolls and push to potty train before the kid is 2, teach them to read at 3, etc.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I wish my kids would stop growing now but I know we can't stop the growth. Kids are growing up way too fast these days, but that is the pressure they get from society. It's just like when we were kids boys had cooties and were gross, now they are going out(going together) when they are in what? second grade. It all depends on who their friends are too my kids are usually around older kids so thats how they act. If they are an only child their parents are who they model. But pressure is on kids from pre-school, learn your abc's learn your colors oh lets learn how to read as an infant. I wish parents were better informed about learning things too early but there's no one to tell them. If they don't learn certain things by kindergarten they are behind.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes and no--I agree that they lose innocence much more quickly now than we did, but I swear I am seeing more and more teenagers that still act like children. My co-worker has to go home at lunch most days during the summer to make her 12 and 15 year olds lunch. I think parents are sheltering their children more from responsibility now than they used to.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Nope. I think if anything there are WAY to many parents out there who shelter and censor their children from the world. I didn't agree with it when I was a child, I don't agree with it now. Children don't have the same burdens as adults, and they shouldn't need them, but at the same time they shouldn't be treated as if they are less than equal to anyone else, and they shouldn't be sheltered from reality either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010