Athiests, please pardon my ignorance..but why do you get married?

I'm not judging, I swear...I have my own set of beliefs I adhere to that really can't be defined by any one religion, but this isn't about me..I've always see marriage as something you do as a way for god to bless your marriage..so I'm just curious as to why an athiest would marry, with exception to the legal bonuses...are are there any other reasons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Marriage is a commitment to each other. It's between us as two people sharing our lives together, not us plus a god.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Marriage isn't for the religious! What we aren't allowed to love and have a life time commitment? We aren't allowed to have the legal bonus just because we dont believe in the bogus god?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I don't really understand the question because marriage has nothing to do with religion or god to me at all. Why would I not want to be married to my husband? I love him, we have children together, and we plan to be together until we die. What does that have to do with anyone's belief in god?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well I am not athiest, I am agnostic. However marriage is between my husband and I, not between us two and god.

We loved each other so much, that we got married. We didn't need to take anything else into consideration. We even did it at a court house! =) All of the frilly things were irrelevant to us. We loved, we wanted it, we did it. The end =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh look!  Shane answered ANOTHER question specifically addressing atheists even though she swears that she doesn't.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh look! Shane answered ANOTHER question specifically addressing atheists even though she swears that she doesn't.

Ah Beeky, let her stick around. She might learn something about marriage from those of us who are happy and thriving in ours.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Swear all you want, I know what you're doing. Marriage is a human creation--not a religious one. Primative tribes in the depths of Africa or Borneo, or wherever, have some form of marriage. They often have different gods or no gods at all but there is always some form of union between two people who love each other and want to be together. And, for me, that's what it is. To limit it to religion IS to be judgmental. And to think that we atheists haven't heard the "morality comes only from religion" CRAP so many times before is to misjudge--and insult--our intelligence.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Easy answer: YOU view marriage as way for God to bless your relationship; atheists do not. Your view isn't the only view.

To me this is like asking "why do atheists have children? children are gifts from God, why would an atheist want a gift from God?" The entire premise is coming from a POV that atheists don't share. Just think of all the many reasons why people who believe in God do ANYTHING, then think of all the many reasons atheists do ANYTHING, now cross GOD off of the atheist's list & there you have it.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Our marriage was also a completely civil event. We were married by a judge.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I'm married because I'm in love.  Do I need any other reasons?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010