Why is my daughter having such a hard time "pooping"?

My daughter was breastfed for 3 solid months, and then put on a soy-based formula. She adjusted great and I eventually added rice cereal. She did great with that, also...she has been on this for about a month and a half now. Recently, she just started having very hard poop and she cries everytime she has to go :( what should i do?

brailees_mammy

Asked by brailees_mammy at 5:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mix her rice cereal with prunes baby food and get the gerber apple & prune juice for her to drink. it will do the trick for sure.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My mom told me the same thing so I tried that. It didnt even make her "go"...nor did it make it softer :(
    brailees_mammy

Comment by brailees_mammy (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Increase her fluids, and prunes will help it takes awhile though. If you are really desperate you can ask the doctor for a suppository.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My doctor had told me that once you introduce solids, they can start to have sips of water. I have seen tons of people say that they don't need water for the first year, but I have looked into it, and sips are fine- just don't give lots of water. The rice has no fiber in it, but all of the sudden she is getting bulk in her food- so there is something to solidify in her intestines. She needs extra fluids to help keep the solids moving. Prunes and pears help a lot too- I would do a really watery mix of cereal and fruit and let her have some water whenever you feed her solids. Call your doctor if you are really worried. It could also be that her body is not ready for solids yet.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Prunes and applesauce
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Prunes... Apple sauce... My DD is 9 months.. she has had around 8oz of water a day.. poops fine. and she is happy and healthy
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2010