What's the difference betwee Athiest and Agnostic?

I really don't know. I was told the other day that Atheist is considered a religion/cult for the crap they pull and how they preach the god isn't real. I don't believe in god but I don't preach to anyone.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Atheists don't believe in God. Agnostics believe that you can't know whether there is a God or not.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Trying not to be offended....

Atheism- rejection of belief in the existence of deities

Agnosticism- the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• An Atheist knows they don't believe, Agnostic believes in the possibility of god, but isn't sure one exists or ever did. Basically, one is certain, the other questioning.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• "for the crap they pull"?? Anyways, atheists believe in no god/s. Agnostics can believe one way or another but acknowledge that proof of a god is ultimately unknowable.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• "I was told the other day that Atheist is considered a religion/cult "for the crap they pull" and how they preach the god isn't real."
    Yeah, I hope the person calling the Atheists a cult said that, not the OP. There's nothing even close to cult-like behaviour in not believing in something. I can sometimes be a bossy and rude Atheist, but I do respect everyone's choice to believe what they choose. Those who get angry about a persons choice to believe are idiots, not cult members.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I believe Athiests believe there is no God whatsoever. And, Agnostics believe it's a possibility. Not sure if I'm right, but that's what I've had explained to me.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Why would you be offended, Erin814?
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Why are you trying not to be offended? I didnt insult anyone. So I offend you because I really don't know? I consider myself an Atheist, so I was wondering what people think when you hear people calling Athirst a cult.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Why would you be offended, Erin814?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was told the other day that Atheist is considered a religion/cult "for the crap they pull" and how they preach the god isn't real.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well I'm not calling people that. I heard it from an Agnostic. I'm an Atheist so I would never say such a thing.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010