History Fans.......

I am helping my daughter with her homework and we are totally stuck! Ladies please see is you can answer this question...

What types of people did Virginia attract during the colonial period.....?

THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in

• Oh shoot!! History was my worst subject. But here's a bump for you. Maybe you can try searching it or even post it on yahoo answers. . . .
    Amanda_Jo1209

Answer by Amanda_Jo1209 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The first settlement was known as a band for producing and growing.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Mostly men looking for work. Eventually women came over but at the time Virginia was growing the cash crop, tobacco.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• New settlers, new investors.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• tootoobusy...Jamestown was established in 1607...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• During which time in the colonial period? At first, when Virginia was just started, most of the original settlers were 'gentlemen' who had no idea what they were getting into. They liked the idea of being landowners, not realizing that THEY would have to build everything and plant everything first. They actually had to make a rule stating that if you didn't work, you didn't eat as most of these men were extremely lazy.
    After the colony had been more established, the powers that ran the colony decided to extend anyone in the colony a say in the government. This is the first time we saw government of the people, for the people, and by the people. This granting of a share in the government to the people attracted new settlers and they came to the 'new world' in huge numbers.
    After slaves were introduced and tobacco became a huge crop, many wanted to earn money this way. Women were soon sent to the colony as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• and OneToughMami is correct
    Jamestown was the first settlement
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Sorry, I meant to look up Jamestown which is right next to Yorktown. My mind is definitely gone.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well, layh41407 I better be right lol or the man who conferred my degree would probably be ashamed lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• OneToughMami--

Mine too. I have a degree in Secondary Eduction/Social Studies with a concentration in History.

high five

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010