Do YOU think people can change?

I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are on people changing. My mom has been through a ton of abusive relationships, I have been through abusive relationships, people have been in prison. . . . .I'm just curious as to what ya'lls input is on if people can change. Can a con become an ex-con? Can a wife beater become a Christian? Can a drug addict become a mentor? I know everyone has their own opinions and this is not intended to turn into a fight, just what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think if the person wants to change themselves then they can... but if it is forced upon them then no.
    They have to want the change.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The answer to all of those questions is yes.

Answer by older at 5:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree with the first post. They can change IF they want it. It can be hard, it may take a long time and require a ton of support, counseling, what have you, but it can happen.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think people can change if they want it badly enough.
    I know that I have changed and I know others who have overcome addictions/abusive natures/bad past and become role models to others.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No I don't believe people can change, I haven't seen it once. People that claimed they change always tend to still be the person they were before
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes, people change all the time. The question isn't CAN they change, but are they willing to...

Can a con become an ex-con? Yes, in most cases, unless there is a mental issue which stops them from controlling or understanding their actions, it's a choice they make, and they have the option to choose otherwise. My DH is a 3x felon, clean and crime free for years now. Totally different person than he was then. It was completely his choice.
    Can a wife beater become a Christian? Most already are.
    Can a drug addict become a mentor? Again, most recovering Addicts become mentors as a way to stay clean and repay society...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Can a wife beater become a Christian? How do those things even go together at all? Even wife beaters have religious beliefs while they're beating their wives. I don't think that was a good example at all.

Anyhow. It is possible for some people to change IF THEY WANT TO. Nobody changes unless they genuinely want to change and even sometimes they fall back into old habits. When it comes to someone who is violent that one is a lot more then just not hurting someone. That stems into anger management, resolving issues from their past, present, etc. You can't just generalize that someone can change based on what they've done. I think some people can change and some people have proven that it's possible. However, I personally believe that once in the lifestyle always in the lifestyle. That's the rule, the rarity of people changing is the exception.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think some people can change certain views and aspects about themselves, but not as a whole. a very good friend of mine is all "f the establishment", had long dreadlocks, totally hippied out. The it came to her...she cant find a job. She chopped off her dreads and is going to college for a nursing degree. She decided to stop feeling sorry for herself and do something with her life! That is a major change in my opinion
    Anonymous

• NO.... they can pretend to change.. but all in all.. dont.. wife beater/drug addict/con.. for example.. my ex was after i left him he pretended to change so i would get back with him.. a few weeks later he was the same ole wife beater.. still on drugs.. and still gettin into trouble with the law.. and i know SEVERAL people who do the same.. pretend just to get what they want but in the end.. still the same ole pieces of crap
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• if they have a reason an da motive they will change its all in them but u cant make them change ....never.. the more u want to make them change the more they resist.but they all have hope....they can have a better life...
    desires_place

Answer by desires_place at 11:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010