Do you think a child should begin learning about responsibility as early as possible?

For example, I mean giving them chores to help you around the house, upkeep with their own room and as they get older, to learn to get a job to earn their own money and learn to manage it, etc. To me, it's important to know that my child can handle real life as she gets older and not have to depend on mommy & daddy upon adulthood. After all, we won't be there for our kids forever and I strongly think kids should learn how to be able to fend & survive on their own.

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes definitely.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yup. Everyone needs to have a chore or responsibility as soon as they understand the concept. Toddlers can help clean up toys, preschoolers can help set the table.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Most definitely. At the same time, they need to know they will be taken care of, protected and loved.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes, the earlier they learn it the sooner it becomes a part of life rather than a chore.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I am not raising a child to remain a child. i am raising her to be a productive, responsible, respectful member of society. It is my duty to make sure that she learns all the skills that are necessary to live a full life, without being a burden on those around her. So yes, I have taught my DD from an early age to do things like clean up after herself, use her manners, etc & will of course add more responsibility as she gets older. She is only 3 right now.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes, most definately. Responsibility, obeying the rules starts as early as the individual can understand these things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Today and tomorrow I'm thinking of a good list (((again))) to give my pre-teen.
    It's going to be a bit or a lot more intense.
    I know it will win his heart, because I'll likely include a reward.
    My chore list is going to bite him first kind of like a sour apple candy, and then he will have to like it to get the reward later.
    I just don't know what the reward is as yet.
    Any other's give rewards or stipend to their pre - teen. Do they obey the list?
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yep.  I insist on my kids being independent, self-reliant, productive members of our household.  It doesn't always work out that way but we constantly work on it.  Starting at 2 they are expected to help clean up things around the house.  By 3 they are expected to be cleaning things up on their own (without someone standing right there or helping them).  By 4 they should be able to fold and put away their own clothes.  By 7 they can be doing their own laundry, etc.  My goal as a mother is for my kids to no longer need me and to be able to take care of themselves as adults.  I met way too many kids in college who had no clue how to do things for themselves, never cooked, cleaned or did their own laundry and were so lost away from home.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 8:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• yes I do, give them chores that are age appropriate and it won't be so hard on you later. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 11:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010