will you allow your child (ren) to live at home past age 18? What are the stipulations?

My Df & I decided that if my DD wants to live at home past age 18, she either needs to go to school full time & we will let her live with us rent free, but she will need to help around the house to earn spending money if she does not have a job. If she has a full time job instead of going to school, then she will be charged a small portion of rent & will still be required to be respectful of our home. As far as rules, we would not ask for a curfew or anything like that, we would just say that she could not have parties & such without a notice. That she would just need to be respectful of the others in the house.

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont have any over 18 yet, but yes. I would let them live at home indefinitely. I will let them have and bring their families to live at home if they want.
    Stipulations? work. doing something you LOVE to do.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The rules my mom had were if we went to school full time, we could live rent free, but we had to take care of our room and our own laundry and help with some chores. If we didn't go to college/school, we would have to pay room and board as well as help with chores.

My one son is disabled. He will live with me as long as he needs to live with someone. My other son will have the same rules that was expected of me.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• if my children chose to go to college, then yes of course they could still live at home!!! (cont from above I forgot that part)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• sure! As long as ds's intentions were to stay with us till he can get on his own feet. Not that we'd be "kicking him out", but I will definately encourage independance and self-reliance.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well since my son is moderately autistic,him living on his own might not be an option.
    If he were neuro-typical,he could stay home as long as he was paying us room and board and was either in school or working and saving up to be on his own. No girlfriends staying the night though.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My 17 yo DD knows that she must attend college full-time and I will allow her to remain here without paying room & board. However, her current chores do not change and she will continue to help me out around the house with cleaning, laundry, upkeeping her room, etc. She knows I'm pretty free with her having friends over as long as they are well behaved and respect my property and things. Her plans right now are to go to college in the medical field - minimum 4 years - but if she decides after she graduates in June she's not going, she better get a job that will pay her way - rent here, assist with the cell phone expense, her car expense (which she does now), and groceries. I need to know she will be fine on her own and that's my way of ensuring she learns complete independence & responsibility.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Of course! They are my kids and as long as I have a roof over my head so do they. My DD is almost 20. She goes to college part time and provides day care for my 4 and 5 yr olds while DH and I work.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• YES- The stipulation- They must be working and in college, or at least some sort of trade school, going for some type of career that will enable them to move out and live an independent life on their own someday. I stayed at home until age 22, working and going to college. :) :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• my parents had similiar rules to yours. just because they are 18 and legal adults doesn't mean they get to do whatever they want when living in someone else's household. they would have rules about noise, etc., living on their own whether in a dorm, an apartment, and any roommates would also need to be respected. i definitely wouldn't allow a child to live with me indefinitely without contributing - that doesn't help them in life at all.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We have discussed that we will probably do like our parents did...They will be able to live at home and as long as they are in school, they can live rent-free...if not in school, then it's getting a job and helping by paying rent/board.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010