How can I help my baby sleep better?

I have a 9 month old daughter. She was sleeping through the night at about 6 months, but about a month later started waking up again. I have tried several "sleep training" methods and have not found one that I like/works for us. She wakes up sometimes 2 or 3 times per night. We have a night time routine (bath, massage, story, etc.) that we have been following pretty much since she was born. I have tried putting a tshirt, stuffed animal, etc. that smells like me into the crib with her. I have tried using the lavender scented baby bath stuff. You name it, I've tried it. Also, because we live in a small house, she has to share a room with me. I think this may play a part in her waking up at night. I am a single mom and am with my baby all the time. I am exhausted and would love to hear some tips on getting my baby to sleep through the night as well as how to make sharing a room work!!

HipMama08

Asked by HipMama08 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you giving her any cereal before bed. she might just be getting hungry try the cereal and see if it helps.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:20 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Babies are very sensitive to the scent of their mothers, especially if your breastfeeding her. Can you put her in a pack n play in the living room one night maybe to see if she still wakes up?
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Don't forget that 9 months is yet another growth spurt time. Also, sleeping is a developmental milestone reached in their own time. Hang in there! It will be soon.

Anonymous

• Does she take a paci? my daughter would wake up occasionally after she started sleeping through the night at 3 months because she couldn't find her paci, I would go in, stick it back in her mouth and she'd go right back to sleep. Could this be what she wants?
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• May I suggest the book On Becoming Babywise?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Ive tried the Babywise sleep method. Failure. The book really is not a good one; it's one of the few things the Amaerican Academy of Pediatrics actually warns against.

To the OP...two or three wakeups is actually pretty good for the age. Son't expect eight straight hours in year one. It *happens* but don't expect it.

What worked here? I stopped worrying about it. I let him go to sleep when he was ready to go to sleep and get up when he wanted to get up. When I stopped trying to intervene with his body clock, he slept better. Still doesn't sleep eight straight hours even at nine years old, but neither do I and I never have. It's silly for me to expect him to be different from me.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2008