I'm a SINGLE mom, my 17 month old daugther has this new thing when i yell at her or tell her no she starts to cry and she will start yelling for her daddy. He was not been around for 4 months now and when he did come around it was always in and out her life. How can I get her to stop crying for for dad?

myleighsmom

Asked by myleighsmom at 11:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is out of the picture it could be that she misses him.There isn't much you can do to stop her from crying for her dad, but you can help her adjust by giving her a stable happy life, maybe bring her around the rest of the family so she can know she has more people out there who love and support her. She is young and it is hard to explain to her why he isn't around. Whatever you do don't stop disiplining her, she still needs that, some single mom's lacks on th disipline because they feel bad, but the child suffers later on because of it, maybe find different ways to disipline instead of yelling, but it seems to me she just misses him and it just comes out when she is getting in trouble.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Nothing you can do. MOst kids now mama and dada as first words so she just might be crying the "other" word so she's not calling your name. Just give her time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son did the same thing wen his dad left us and my heart used to break but then I got smart and told him if daddy was here he'd be mad too cos he wants u to be a good boy, and it worked mostly... He did and still does miss him a lot and the idiot doesn't even call or write! I have a new husband now and my son has warmed to him a lot but I know he still thinks bout his dad even though he saw him last when he was 3 and he's 5now
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008