do i need to switch formulas for my near 3 mo old?

ok so my daughter will be 3 months old soon and for the past 2 months shes had problems with what i presume to be constipation (going every 4 days or so not soft and blood curdling screaming in the process) i have added kyro syrup with no luck also have tried mineral oil again no luck also mylicon thinking maybe it was gas again no help im at such a loss and i want to help ease her pain any ideas? current formula we are using is enfamil lipil premium (iron fortified) also was diagnosed with colic as well if that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would talk it over wit your dr but yes i think you should change formula. lil momma having bm's every 4 days isn't good and the screams is just as worst cuz ya don't want her to hurt. but i would try similac advance or soy based. but talk to ur doc. i'm sure the colic isn't causing the constipation but it will cuz the screams so it's kinda hard to figure out what's she's screaming over
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Those are all common issues with formula feeding. You should discuss it with the pediatrician. I would absolutely not recommend soy. Please take time to research different formulas and make an informed decision!

FYI: You should not be giving your baby karo syrup. You are running a risk of exposing her to botulism.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Try some Gripe Water but also speak to your baby's physician because the milk can be giving her some problems as well.
    ProudMommie83

Answer by ProudMommie83 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• if you switch formulas try Similac Alimentum that will help with the constipation and its also to help colic my son had the same problem and there was a big difference once we switched it
    mad_ct_mom

Answer by mad_ct_mom at 9:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i would def try switching formulas. i had to change the formulas for both my children. my almost 3 mth old, i switched 3 times til i found one that she was alright with. I WISH U LUCK!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Have you tired a glycerin suppository once a day? That is what helped with my LO. The Dr said to give half a pediatric one. When she got a little older she was much better and didn't need it any more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We dealt with that, switched to soy based formula.. it didn't change anything.. i agree with the glycerin suppository once a day... right before bed that way you can sleep! but for sure talk it over with the doc
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had to do the same thing with my daughter, because the iron in the formula constipated her. Iron is very hard on an infants system. their little bodies cant always tolerate/digest it, thus the constipation. Speak with your pediatrician as to if she even needs the iron right now. maybe when her system is a little more mature, you can gradually introduce the iron again; either by a liquid vitamin or formula. are you by chance giving her infant liquid vitamins with iron in them? if so, then it's definitely iron overload. Iron is very constipating, even in adults.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would discuss this with the doctor, and maybe see a pedi gi doc. I would NOT recommend karo or mineral oil for anyone this young. They can be harmful. I would immedieatly stop those, and see the doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thanks for all of your answers this is very helpful to me. I have already set up an appointment for the doc for her. I was just curious if there were things I could do in the mean time. I also did karo syrup with my other daughter and it helped her so much her doc never said anything was wrong with that so I was unaware of the problems it would cause in all thanks for that heads up tho :). Also I was using the glycerin suppository once every 3 days with her but was worried I would over-do it using them so ill try them to help her a little more again I thank you all!
    luvmybabies0710

Answer by luvmybabies0710 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010