Is there a way I can find out somebodys criminal background for free?

I have a good friend and we hang out sometimes. He tells me he's been to jail but gives very little details. Back in High School he use to get in huge fights so I think they are probably assaults but I want to make sure so I know if I should continue hanging out with hm with my kids around. Before anyone goes on to say I shouldn't hang out with a man other then my husband, well my husband knows him and trust me and he doesn't have a problem with it. If it's anything severe I don't want him around my children.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• varies by state. mine, minnesota, is free. i check on anyone who comes into contact with my kids, I'm weird like that :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Some records are public so if they happened in your city/county- you could go to their website. Theres also a sex offender registry that you can look up to see sex offenders in your area. Beyond that, you would have to pay. I personally would trust your instincts about him. Not saying those w/ a criminal past cant turn it around, but I certainly wouldnt let them too close to my kids or my valuables.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If it was that long ago then I wouldn't worry about him being around your children. Obviously he is a different person now then he was then or you wouldn't want to be around him either. There is no where I know of to get a background check for free and if I was your friend I would be upset to find out you even tried to get one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• ur in washington state?

http://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.namesearch&terms=accept&flashform=0
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It would be super easy to rule out a sex offense which is the only thing I *would* worry about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• if someone has a history with say, check theft, it's a good thing to know before they might come over for a bbq, having your checkbooks locked away.

if you can research people discreetly and for free, then do it. better safe than sorry.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• OP HERE

I know for a fact is isnt a sex offender. He isn't like that, he nearly killed the person who raped me, even though it happen before we met. I just dont wan someone with a violent record around my childen. He's a good person but I'm just being a mother bear and wanting to protect them

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010