help me

ok i have a 6 yr old son that gose see's his grandmother once every other weekend and when he comes home he thanks he can talk to me and his bother anyway he likes to and today he came home with a knife and i can't just take it away form him becouse she gave it to him but come on who gives a 6 yr a knife what shound i do

momoftwo125

Asked by momoftwo125 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• have you talked to her and i would take the knife away and explane to him why good luck
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• tried that did not work he called her and tod her that i took it and she called me a bad mom
    momoftwo125

Comment by momoftwo125 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• im very sorry that she did that have you talked to her about keeping it at her house i dont think its you being a bad mom its you being a good mom and not alowing him to have a knife at the age of 6 maybe ask her to go with you to talk to a mediator
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Take it away!! You are the mother. My six year old doesn't even cut his own meat.
    Tell Grandma she will not see him if she can't follow YOUR rules.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• YES, you "CAN' Take it away & better quickly! 6 year olds have NO business with a knife, he may hurt or kill someone by accident! WOW!!!!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 8:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Get your SO's support and talk to your child together. You need to go over the rules of your house with him. #1 is everyone talks to others with love and respect. And a knife? It is your child and if you do not want him to have a knife you take it away calmly, explaining to him it is not allowed in your family. If he has a fit, so be it. And phone calls should be with your permission. Talk to his grandmother about what is allowed and what isn't. It is your family & your rules. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Be a bad mom and keep your child from harm. He is not ready for that. Reminds me of the time I brought my four year old a slig shot gun thinking that he won't know how to use it and guess what he hit my mom in the but with arock while he was hiding in the tree.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yeah, my 7 year old (8 in 2 days) or 6 year old do not and WILL not have a knife until I know they are old enough to be responsible with one. I do not care WHO gives it to them. If grandma is mad you took it away from him, tell her he will be bringing it back to her house next time he comes over, and if she doesn't want it put away for good, she needs to keep it at her house. And, you need to explain to your son that just because things are one way at grandma's, he lives with you so he needs to follow YOUR rules. And, tell him if he doesn't maybe he needs to stay away from grandma's for a while until he can follow them. Worked with mine.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• no no no.. i would NOT even send it back to grandma's house with him.. he wouldnt be going back to grandmas until she could learn how to respect you and your family. even if she did give it back to him.. take it and tell him that when he is old enough for it he can have it.. and explain to the grandma that every other weekend visit STOPS until she learns that children should NOT have knifes and children should respect adults and their siblings.... when she agrees to not give him anything until speaking with you then let him go back.. but if he comes back being a snot again... he cant go back until she learns to show him how to be respectful and until he learns that he cant come back being rude to everyone
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You CAN take away the knife. Don't you ever believe for one second that anyone can have a say-so over you. You are the parent and if you do not want him to have something then you take it away. Your mother/In laws do not get to parent him for you. Take the knife away and put that boy in his place. You teach him some manners and let him know that he cannot speak to you any way he pleases. Be a parent!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010