My daughter has broken pooper, she is 2 years old, suggestions?! adult content

For about two weeks now, my daughter hasn't been able to pass a good sized poo. Just little squirts here and there throughout the day. We took her to the ER and they gave her mirilax and said thats all they can do and to give her that along with the pedilax suppositories and to give her apple juice and stuff like that. Still not working. Her bottom is now RAW red and her skin is breaking open. I keep the A+D ointment on it and its helping a little. We tried castor oil to make her poo but thats not working either. She won't eat, she barely drinks fat free milk that is 3/4 watered down. She screams in pain when I change her diaper. I'm going to get some pedialyte since she won't eat and some baby magic so I can just clean her tush with that in the tub. Any ideas on how to get her to poo or to get her bum not so red? My doctors say to keep doing what I am doing but I am still not giving up.

b_pacheco

Asked by b_pacheco at 8:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh my gosh I'm sorry you have to go through that. I go through the opposite (constipation) with my daughter sometimes. Very hard to deal with, heartbreaking. Give her a tubby in some baking soda water for her sore bum (redness). Does she perhaps have a block in her intestine? When I was young, the same thing pretty much happened to me and they found out I had blockage in my intestine. Up her fiber intake maybe? Prune juice? A child safe laxative? I hope you find something that works soon for the sake of you and your daughter. Can you maybe get a second opinion from another doctor? Maybe get some x-rays done just to check and make sure nothing is wrong with her insides. Wishing for a solution for you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• try corn starch for her rash, and karo syrup the dark kind to help her poop. I have a 2mo.old that has the same problem,and this works pretty good. hope this will help,

good luck
    naynayluv

Answer by naynayluv at 8:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• try another diaper rash cream. A&D is crap. there is a johnsons 3 in 1 that works really well. get the 1 with the highest % of Zinc in it. Also helps to let her go diaperless for a while to let it dry completely. My daughter used to get rashes like that and they would bleed and she would just cry and cry....As for the other thing, I would be pissed at the Dr., bc something should be done about that. She needs to eat and drink, and if she isnt then something is wrong. I would look into other drs if I was you.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I also do the baking soda in the tub and let my LO run around naked for as along as I can. Dean used to get awful rashes that would crack open and he would scream when I would change him and I used ointments and one day I couldnt take it and just used baby powder (johnsons and johnson with the blue cap) and the next morning his diaper rash was gone. It turns out his diapers rashes get worse when kept moist with ointments and heal up when kept super dry with powder.

For the constipation, please try pears, they have worked for my son even when prune juice didnt. I would give him some pear juice and he was constipated no more. It works extremly well though so be prepared lol. I gave him some cut up pears the other day with dinner just as dessert not thinking and whew it cleared him out lol, I wasnt even meaning too lol. Hope this helps :)
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If the prune juice and dark karo syrup don't work you should go back to the Dr. when they open. Maybe they can do an x-ray to see if she swallowed something she shouldn't have.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 9:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I found that TripplePaste for the diaper rash works great! You can get it at Walgreens, Target and Walmart. If there is no blockage or medical reason I would just say a box of rasins and apple sauce for every snack and with most meals untill it helps. I have to limit rasins and apple sauce or i'm changing diapers every 30 minutes!
    1andcounting

Answer by 1andcounting at 12:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Is your daughter taking a daily childrens vitamin? I ask this because some children cant tolerate the iron in them. Iron can & does cause constipation, as do foods with high iron contents. Spinach for instance is a big iron culprit, & other veggies can also have a high iron content. Be very careful with fiber; too much can actually cause constipation, due to the amount of liquid it absorbs in the intestinal track. Sufficient water is needed in the intestinal track, for us to have regular bowel movements.
    Please dont laugh when I tell you this, but have you ever seen a line of products called "Boudreaux's Butt Paste"? Boudreaux's makes an entire line of products for babies, including Butt Bath, Baby Butt Smooth, & Rash Protector. Do a google search & read about the products. They are fantastic & they work. I sure hope your little one feels better real soon!
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 7:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• ok this will sound weird but for the rash try bag balm. it comes in a green tin square can. it heals EVERYTHING.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Oh my gosh, I forgot all about Bag Balm! I love that stuff! Boy does it work good!
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hey everybody, sorry its taken so long to reply! Audri still isn't any better. I did take her to a different doctor, they advised us to stop using the pedliax suppositories and just let nature work its course. We had x-rays done and its just a big ol' ball of poo. I did use bag balm, the doctor told us too and it cleared her butt up fast, but it didn't clear up the cracked bleeding skin. She won't eat any of what you all suggested, she is very picky and will not eat it even if its her only option. She'd starve herself before she'd eat it. She is not nor was she on vitamins. They were going to fly her to the Denver Children's Hospital but decided not to. Its not so much the pooping she has a problem with now, its more of her butt being so broken open and bleeding. Its awful getting her to change her diaper. She screams in complete pain. So I wrote down everything you guys have said and am going to try them all. This has to stop
    b_pacheco

Comment by b_pacheco (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010