Are fetal lungs fully developed at 36 weeks and 2 days?

I am 33 weeks and 2 days preggo today. I am scheduled for an amniocentesis at 36 weeks and 3 days. i am also scheduled for a c section the same day. my question is if fetal lungs are mature by the 36th week? I am so excited. i also want to know if the lungs are not mature what will they do? i go to the doc on tuesday and will ask and let u guys know details. thanks

laydeemama

Asked by laydeemama at 8:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They aren't fully developed until around 37 wks so they usually give steriod shots to speed it up if they fear you may give birth early but even with the shots the babies lungs aren't always developed by 36 wks. At 31 wks though they baby has a great survival rate and might not even need any breathing help or probably not for long.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• There is no guarantee, even at full-term, that a baby's lungs will be mature. Every baby is different. It is probable that by 37 weeks the lungs will have reached maturity.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Every baby was different. I had amnio done at 36 weeks due to preeclampsia (my c-sec was scheduled for 39 wees), the test came back within a few hoursand hr lungs were fully developed and I was scheduled to deliver her the next day. Her lungs, and everythin else about her was perfect. She's 10 months old tomorrow
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Depends... Each baby develops differently.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Like they said it varies. I'm so sorry you are having a complicated pregnancy and I wish you all the best.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It depends but if the baby's lungs are not ready then he/she will be in the NICU. Good luck
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 9:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I just had an amnio done at 37 weeks 5 days and the results came back that his lungs are not fully developed. I am now in my 38th week so now my doctor will wait until at least 39th week for my c-section. All babies will develop differently and although the general rule of thumb is 37 weeks it isn't going to be for every baby because it may not even be at 40 weeks.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 4:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My son was born at 35 weeks and with no shots his lungs were fully developed.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010