How to get my 2 year old away from the bottle.

My two year old daughter is very attached to her bottle still and I don't know why. She must havve it at bed time and before naps.

lilma0608

Asked by lilma0608 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw them out and only give her a sippy cup. She's not going to give it up on her own, not if she's that attached. You have to do it for her. She'll be fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Maybe start by weening her from her nap time bottle by giving her a sippy cup, when that's done do the same at bedtime.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• just throw it away
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If she is really attached you can transition slowly. Send her to bed and nap with both a bottle and a sippy cup. Leave the bottle empty. If it has no use she will soon forget about it.
    1andcounting

Answer by 1andcounting at 12:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• this worked for my daughter tell him that they are all yucky now and old he needs to throw it away.
    krickit2

Answer by krickit2 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• have him trow it away
    krickit2

Answer by krickit2 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• go to the library and get as many books as you can find about getting rid of the bottle. we have a book called bye-bye bottle by ellen wiess. she's a really good writer. another thing i did was start weeding out the bottles til their was only but one or two, and they would dissappear too. i'm sorry, my kids really hated the bottles cuz i always gave them sippy cups or drinks out of my cups. but maybe the books will help.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• my son had the same problem we thought be was gonna be hard he loved his ba ba we just said no more ba ba and gave him his sippy we had no choice he was staring to have ear infections the first few night might be hard but she ill get use to it
    mad_ct_mom

Answer by mad_ct_mom at 9:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have made her throw two bottles away! the second time actually she wanted to throw it away! we try and try not to give them to her and hand her a sippy cup, but she gets so upset and wont drink out of anything else!
    lilma0608

Comment by lilma0608 (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• she will if she gets thirsty enough...she won't let herself starve or go thirsty.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010