Lovenox vs. Heparin During Pregnancy?

Does anyone know the difference between Lovenox & Heparin besides the amount of time it stays in your system? My doctor is switching me from Lovenox to Heparin at 28 weeks and I know the normal to do that is 36 weeks, but since I've been having a lot of Braxton Hicks there switching me... I really would rather stay on Lovenox but if there isn't such a big difference I guess it doesn't matter... Does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Heparin has a shorter time in your body, and less risk of bleeding complications. Other than that, not a big difference.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I am currently on Heparin and my ob completely skipped lovenox. I have a bad rare blood clotting disorder and am pregnant with twins. I have already experienced a pretty bad blood clot in my placenta and have a history of placenta abruption. So my OB is avoiding any chance of any bleeding complications I would assume would be increased by lovenox. But I am honestly not sure. I know that lovenox remains in your system longer so instead of 2 shots of heparin you only have 1...but lovenox i've heard is more painful then heparin injections..and my heparin injections sting pretty bad! Ask your dr.
    eku_mommy

Answer by eku_mommy at 10:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2009