Is getting induced really that bad?

I keep hearing that when you get induced its vary painful?
What exactially do they do to you?
And why is everyone say its so bad?
Is it worse then normal labour?
Is it something people should try and aviod?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes it's a lot more painful then natural contractions
    They just give you an IV and stick it in your IV
    Yes it should be avoid, it should only been done when necessary.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes, it's really that bad!
    Very painful!
    It hurs!
    Yes, worse.
    Yes, avoid it, unless it's medically necessary.
    My sister, sister-in-law, and myself were all induced and all ended up with c-sections...
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It is completely artificial and typically medically unnecessary. The use of Pitocin does make the experience more painful and typically leads to epidural and often c-section. It should absolutely be avoided.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• made my contractions so much more painful and actually stalled my labor. Don't get induced if you don't absolutely have a crisis that requires it.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 8:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well, I hear other people on here saying it hurt but for me... It was a fantastic! I was already 2 weeks late so they decided to induce me which I didnt want but in the long run it was awesome. I went in a 7am, then they gave me a IV which was the worst part of my whole labor! She kept making my vains explode and I ended up getting a iv 6 times( buts thats because I have hard veins and am deathly afraid of needles) anyways I was started on a pitocin drip at 10am which made me contract but I wasn't in much pain but when I did get in pain they gave me a shot of something in my iv which made it all go away. Then I was ready for my epidural which scared me to death... didnt feel a thing. And from then on I visited with friends and family they came and checked me at 5pm and I was ready to push. At 5:19 I had my daughter and while actually pushing I was watching discovery channel and cracking jokes with the nurse and dh.
    Tuesday503

Answer by Tuesday503 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• in my oppion and exsperience: was induced with my last baby duet health risk for me.i was wanting to go natural no drugs but that didnt happen. i check in at 6 am. got my iv started and petocine started, at first it was no so bad i thought i can do this! by 11 am things had canged, by noon i need an epideral, i have alwasy been a fast progresser and once my water breaks i go even faster.i hated beings strapped down to the bed, i had an iv,petocine,fetal monitor,contraction monitor,internal monitor,BP cuff, oxygen mask,i couldt mov and almost gave birt by myself.she got stuck under my pelvic bone an now has a dent in her forhead, i feel as if i ha waited for hear to be ready to come the labor wouldnt of been so bad.after pushing for almost 2 hours and almost needing an emergency c-section,she finally came. if i could do it all over i would of waited. .
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes. It's because the chemicals cause you to go into hard labor before your body is ready. Which puts pressure on the baby, the umbilical chord, and your body. It can cause some serious issues leading to a emergency C-section. Being induced is one of the leading reasons why people get emergency C-sections.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It can be very painful and it can lead to a c-section.
    Unless there is a medical need to get baby out today, it is best to avoid any method of induction.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Some people have positive induction experiences...it certainly isn't the devil. I was induced at 17 days past my EDD. I had planned to go naturally, but my contractions were literally peaking multiple times without ever relaxing, within an hour of starting the pitocin...I was crying for the epi (which stopped working after about an hour). My son was born after only about 5 hours of labor and 3 pushes. The only downside of my induction, besides a more painful labor, was that he came so fast that I wound up with a horrible case of hemorrhoids (still have those, 3 years later).

But the artificial oxytocin (Pitocin) causes contractions that are longer and stronger than natural contractions, which creates more pain for you and more stress for the baby. This means you're more likely to need a c-section from the baby showing signs of distress, as well as from the fact your body and/or simply may not be ready for labor & birth.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh, in my case, how they did it was to insert Cervadil to soften my cervix at 10pm), give me an IV of Pitocin at 7am, and rupture my membranes when I was only 1cm dilated around 8am (that and the insertion of internal monitors right afterward, due to my baby showing signs of distress, were possibly more painful than the contractions...I was crawling up the freakin' headboard...ouch!).

Haha, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to tell you "birth horror stories". But I wish someone had told me about the potential for that to happen.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010