Freaked out...

No bashing please...
I walked in to my 6 year old daughter's room to put away something and when I walked in I notice she was putting her pajama pants up. I turned on the light and saw that her underwear and her pants were half way up and asked her what was she doing. She kept saying nothing mommy so I pull her pants down and inspected her genitals and noticed they were red. I can tell she was touching herself I got upset I asked all the crazy questions that a parents would ask a child because the first thing in my mind was (is anyone touching my child.) She say no mom no one has ever touch me I swear don't be mad and whatever. I was so freaked out that I didn't know what to say I told her that she can't touch her genitals because she will bleed and die and that if she does it again God is going to send her to hell because that is a sin. I made her pray and ask for forgiveness and send her back to sleep... Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's normal, natural and *gasp* healthy for an 8 year old girl to be experimenting... Seriously though... you told her she's going to hell? What the hell? And then you wonder why she isn't going to be honest with you about if she was touching herself or if someone else was... WOW, Just WoW!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Umm I'm sorry, this is probably going to sound rude by why in the world would you tell your daughter something like that? It's perfectly normal for them to explore themselves as any other mother will tell you. Way to traumatize your daughter and lie to her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I am speechless. You most likely cause more harm than good. I am completely disgusted by what you told her and I find it abusive.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• omg, you are going to freak her out! first off, chill out. second of all, IT IS NATURAL to be curious about your body. thirdly, do NOT scare her and tell her that she is going to die and gonna go to hell. That is so wrong on so many levels. Did you realize that lying IS a sin and you'll go to hell for lying? Not for touching yourself. omg. Your poor little girl is going to grow up thinking that anything to do with sex is wrong, and believe me you do NOT want her to be like that. When you catch your child exploring her body, you calmly tell her that that behavior is not ok in front of people and she is to only explore in private. Do NOT make her feel like she did something wrong. YOU are doing wrong here, not her.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think you need to admit to your daughter that you were taken by surprise and that what you said was a complete load of crap! Then you should have an honest discussion about this behavior...it is normal and where she was doing it was perfectly acceptable. This is bedroom behavior and it is okay for her to enjoy her own body.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• All I can say, is after re-reading this, I truly hope this is just a troll post... That kind of thinking is just sick and twisted, and the fact that you would tell an 8 year old something like that is barely south of mental & emotional abuse!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Please tell us that this is a joke,because otherwise i have to say you're a nutcase!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think you went WAYYYY overboard.

I mean I can understand you being shocked...and even maybe a bit concerned that someone did something too her...

But you made her feel bad for doing something that 99% of people do!!! I feel bad for your dd!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• PLEASE tell me you really did NOT do that

when I was around 7 or 8 my mother FREAKED out on me- I was in my room at night -in bed and didn't even realise WHAT I was doing- but knew it just felt good...my mom walked in and it was not pretty, basically she told /yelled me how horrible a thing it was and that i should never ever be doing anything like that and she never wanted to catch me again . *my mom was very religious as well

this is normal- and making kids feel ashamed/scared/confused about that is an awful thing to do. I never forgot that and how completely awful it made me feel, and I would never do anything like that to my kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I completely agree with the other Mom's. What a horrible thing to say to your little one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010