Do you feel that forcing the issue of a moment of silence for prayer in schools,

violates the spirit of Matthew 6:5?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• oh for goodness sake---people, pray all you want. nobody is going to stop you. keep on showing what a good christian you are....lol....it is more important to be good though instead of showing off.....think about it. praying out loud in front of people is showing off and trying to look good,. its more important to actually act good....be good,okay?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You can't stop my kids from praying!

You're right - so why do you need a designated time to do it instead of just having them do it on their own whenever they feel like it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, I don't. Prayer happens in public places like church and those are fine. However, I don't believe that a moment of silence should be forced, nor do I feel that anyone should stop someone from praying in school or anywhere else as long as they aren't trying to force others to pray.
    t
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Its a moment of silence period.... no "for prayer" any place in the law discussed in the last post.

And no, it does not violate Matthew 6:5.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• A moment of silence allows everyone to mentally prepare for the day ahead in any manner they choose, be it prayer, meditation, or counting tiles. I see no harm nor misinterpretation of scripture.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No
    Anonymous

• Our elementary school already has a moment of silence in the morning. I have no problem with it. No one is forcing the students to pray. However, those who choose to can. It's not in your face, or blatantly obvious or pushing anything, so I don't mind it. It is my belief that NO ONE should be forced to do something they don't believe in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No It does not violate that.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You can't stop praying in school. If my children were in school (we homeschool) no one could keep them from praying in their hearts.
    BiloxiDreams

Answer by BiloxiDreams at 1:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• that's immaterial if the school in question is a public school, they are not ruled by the bible.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010