Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

can a group home take a patients disability check

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • for board and care, I believe so.

    Answer by hibbingmom at 9:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • If their fee for staying there goes over what is paid to them by the government,then yes

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Yes, if it is for room and board.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Most states have strict guidelines on this. Room and board charges are set by the state so that they do not exceed the SSI amount. There is always a portion left over for the individual called "Personal Allowance" or something similar depending on the state. There are also strict guidelines on how Personal Allowance can be spent. The facility is to provide certain basics for the individual such as shelter, food, and basic clothing. Personal allowance can't go towards clothing that should be provided by the agency, but it can go towards specialty clothing if that is what the individual wants (Such as if a person wants a name brand clothing item) and the same goes for food. Basic food is to be provided, but if the person wants to buy, say a Big Mac, they can use PA money for that.

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • I was a manager for a group home before for the mentally & physically handicap & yes they can take their check. That is usually their cost of care. Room, board, care, meals, transportation etc. They by law all recieve 44.00 allowance each month & thats in Mich. I hope that helps

    Answer by ahsweetness at 10:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • In New York Three years ago, personal allowance was around $150, so I guess that's pretty different from one state to another. Check out your state's developmental services web page. In New York it's called OMRDD and in CT it's called DDS so it's name will differ by state as well.

    Answer by beckcorc at 6:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Yes

    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.