Do any of you find this a bit hypocritical?

I went to church today for the first time in a while, just been having my own personal issues with church but decided to give it a go. Well they are having this family fun day on Halloween as an alternative for Halloween, because you know of course they say Halloween is an evil day, but I find that a bit hypocritical in the sense why even celebrate the day at all if you don't like what it represents, just because you change the name doesn't take away the day. I found this a bit ironic because a friend of mine could not believe I let my kids go trick or treating saying once she accepted Christ she quit celebrating Halloween but yet they will go to the family thing at the church which is on Halloween so it is still being celebrated in a sense, do any of you see that as well.

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 9:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are few churches in my area that do this. They are trying to provide a fun alternative to Halloween that does not involve putting on costumes and going door to door getting candy saying "trick or treat". I do not find it hypocritical to encourage another activity. It's like when a school puts on a post prom party that does not involve alcohol to discourage underage drinking. Yes, it's still a party, but it's an alternative to something they see as negative.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• That is hypocritical and I see your point. Plus, whats the difference between letting your children have a fun day in the church and letting your kids have fun trick or treating? No child actually comprehends that Halloween is actually evil. They look forward to it because it's fun to dress up and get candy. There is nothing evil about children dressing up and having fun.
    Sonnyswife

Answer by Sonnyswife at 9:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with letting your kids dress up, get some candy, and have a little fun. That's all Halloween represents to me, a day for your kids to have a little fun, so why shouldn't we let our kids go? We too are having something like that at our church, it's called Trick or Trunk. We all line up our cars and decorate our trunks, then the kids go trunk to trunk instead of door to door trick or treating. We plan to attend as this is a great, safe, and family-friendly way to have some fun and for the kids to get some candy without going to a stranger's house.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I do see what you mean. We do not celebrate halloween as anything evil. Just a time to round up a bunch of candy and wear silly costumes. I am sure the church will do something similar.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• What are they doing?

My church does not celebrate but on the night trick or treaters are out, they hold a game night.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I just find it ridiculous that so many people will take an innocently fun activity and place evil into it. Very few will have evil intended activities. It is what you make it. If you want to have the day be an evil day and plan evil activities, I don't condone that but if you make it a day of fun activities (TOT included) then have fun. I am a Christian, and I don't see anything evil about it. Halloween after all is the Eve of All Saints Day - a religious holiday.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Babylove76...you took the words right out of my mouth!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Halloween is actually evil.

oh, malarkey

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Look into the actual history of Halloween before you judge!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• yes thats always bothered me!! thats why i love the church we're going to right now. they are doing a Fall Festival BUT its not replacing Halloween. its just a community event w/ trunk or treating and face painting and games this weekend. then since Halloween is on a Sunday night they aren't having church. instead they cancelled it so that families can spend the night together...all but saying "so families can celebrate Halloween".

i think its fine for churches to have events and call them whatever they want, but to plan them on Halloween and to expect people to participate in them instead of Halloween all while claiming Halloween is evil is very hypocritical...its the same stupid thing!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2010