Do children need televisions in their rooms?

Do we sometimes use the television as a temporary babysitter?

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 9:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I have used the television as a sitter when I needed to use the bathroom or look after dinner when my girls were younger.
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I know that I do use it like that. When I am trying to make dinner and I have 5 kids running around I sit them all down in front of the tv so that I can cook in peace.
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 9:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My kids do not have tv in their rooms...I don't think there is a need for it.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I use movies or tv to babysit for me so I can shower sometimes. Never in my kids rooms, though. EVER. no excuse for that.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with a little tv at the end of the day, after daily activities and stuff like that. we have a tv in the living room and one in my bedroom.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My kids do not have a TV in their bedroom. I do not see the need for it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• They don't "need" them in their room but I have no problem with kids watching TV.  I never considered it "babysitting".  It was just entertainment.  My kids watch all sorts of TV and always have.  When they were little it was the only way I could get dinner made (thank gawd for the Simpsons on at 5pm).  But they don't have TVs in their rooms.  We have 2 living rooms and a TV in each one and they have to ask permission to watch them (except in the morning when they first get up).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree. TV's should not be in the children's rooms but we (hubby and I ) always had to revisit this discussion because he wanted them to have televisions (but he was working during the day so I never saw his point!!) ?????????
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My granddaughter has a tv in her room. It is not hooked up for TV. We have it only because it is a little white one (we got it for $5 at a garage sale). It has a built in VCR player. It is the only VCR we have in the house and she has a few disney movies on VCR so we have used it probably a half dozen times since March.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No child NEEDS a television in their room!!!!
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2010