Did you learn about lots of women figures in history/art history when you were younger in school?

I think women have been grossly under represented in histories. I was talking to my husband tonight about a few female figures (that I had learned about in grade school) and he didn't know who they were. It is sad to me that many think they know a lot about our
histories when you can't without hearing from everyone in the society. Women and minorities are still not recognized in history books the way they should be.

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 9:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly the only women I ever remeber learning about is Susan B. Anthony ( in 5th grade) and Amelia Earheart ( in 7th )
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I remember learning about Betsy Ross and a couple others, but that's it.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• That stinks. Does anyone else feel like women and minorities should be better represented in our history books and not forgotten about? They helped shape this country/world just as much as white men.

IzzeAddy

Comment by IzzeAddy (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Honestly? I don't remember learning about any women in history except Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks... Beyond that, we didn't ever learn about women... Really sad!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i cant recall who i learned about in grade school and who i know about now b/c im working on my graduates in history...but there arent a whole lot of women/minorities in history. it sounds sad but when you look at how women and minorities were suppressed (especially in US history) its not surprising. im in a women's history class right now and honestly i havent learned any new names except for a few women who did nothing more than keep journals of their daily lives.

most history classes focus on main events like wars and government (presidents, leaders, laws). even in Americas short 200+ history there have been very few women/minorities who've made an impact in government and they are mostly from the last 50 years or so. there are some great women and minorities in history, but they havent made the impact that presidents and wars have made simply b/c they havent been allowed to.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• whats so sad to me is that the basic stuff (Washington was the 1st US pres, the Civil War was from 1861-65) has to be drilled in over and over and ppl STILL dont remember it after graduation. when ppl cant even remember the basics what makes anyone think we can move on to the more in depth stuff, like how Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B Anthony started the fight for women's suffrage 70 years before women got the right to vote or how Fredrick Douglas spoke beautifully on the evils of slavery and why it should be abolished. you cant get into the complexities of why ppl do what they do when the students cant even remember how many amendments there are or who wrote the Declaration.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I learned about Sappho, Elizabeth Bathory, Harriet Tubman, Besty Ross, Susan B Anthony, Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, Hapshetsut, Nefertiti, Nefertari.. etc.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I remember learning about some women but I couldnt tell you how many exactly or whatnot.

I worry about importance not gender and if I know of someone who isnt talked about or not talked about enough then Ill look it up myself.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't agree with that at all okmanders.
    IzzeAddy

Comment by IzzeAddy (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010