How can you vote for the lesser of two Evils? How is this logical?

I just don't understand this logic? can someone please explain this to me?

timandisaacsmom

Asked by timandisaacsmom at 11:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok. Here's a hypothetical situation. Let's say you HAVE to choose a roomate, and your ONLY options are a) a rapist and b) a drug dealer. Both are crappy choices, but the drug dealer is going to be the lesser of two evils (at least to me...). Both are "evil" things, but the drug dealer is "not quite as bad." Same logic applies to someone doing this in an election. They may not like any of the candidates, they may think they are all awful choices, but they are going to pick the one that is "not quite as bad."

Please note: I am not comparing Obama or McCain to rapists and drug dealers. It was just an example.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree. When you aren't thrilled by any of the choices - and there are more than 2 - you pick the one you DISLIKE the least, the one you think will do the least amount of harm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't understand it either, there's always the third party option.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 12:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• see this is what i don't understand... There is no one forcing anyone to vote for the lesser in this case... there are third party candidates and the option of write ins.. so i just don't understand why vote for the two evils.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 12:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i guess it's a philosophy adopted by voters who still want to vote for one of the two major parties.
    i don't really understand it either. i've voted 3rd party before and was quite happy in doing so.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You know ONE of them is going to be president. Instead of wasting your vote on someone who doesn't have a chance, vote for the one you hate less. That way, the one you REALLY hate has less of a chance.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2008