Has your child's doctor ever told you to give your child melatonin???

My ds is 3 and he is very hyperactive and has always had a hard time going to sleep and staying asleep... While we were going through his testing for autism, the specialist told us that it is very common for children "like him" to be given Melatonin for a sleep aid... I have done research on it and it is pretty much harmless and is over the counter but I am just curious if there are any other parents that have heard this?

maxwell488

Asked by maxwell488 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes. My son does have autism. He very rarely has sleep issues, but I was told when he was first diagnosed that if he had sleep issues, I could use melatonin.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No, but I might get some for me. Some nights there just seems to be no way I am going to get to sleep.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No, but I do know it's totally harmless. Your body produces it naturally, so in essence, you are just leveling it out. It's also recommended for pets during storms and stuff. I've taken it. It works pretty much instantly!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son has ADHD and sleep issues as well. His doctor also suggested melatonin, but after three months we had to take him off of it because of the nightmares that it caused. Very vivid dreams is common when using melatonin, so just watch out for that.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No, but I use it myself. Never thought about using it for my son though. He's very hyper, but no real problems with sleep. I'm thinking more about when we have to fly, because he NEVER wants to sleep on the plane. (A recent 5-hour red eye flight nearly drove me bonkers - he only slept for an hour at the END of the flight.)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 9:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have used it for my kids and my oldest dd is prescribed it for her bi-polar. It works very well and I love that it's natural and doesn't have any side affects. If you are unsure, try it yourself. I would suggest to start at the lowest dose possible. They have 3mg and 5 mg doses. I would start with a 1/2 of a 3mg and work up from there. You can give more if he wakes in the middle of the night, because it is fast acting but not long lasting. I would also suggest that as with any other "medication" the body can build a tolerance to it, so gently weaning back down every few months is good to see #1.) if he produces enough of his own to sustain him and #2.) to ease off so that he doesn't build up a resistance to it. Talk to your doctor before using my suggestions of course, but this is what I have found to be true and we have been users since 2003. GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes my son has some serious sleep issues. Until we started using it he would for only sleep a couple of hours each night and if he woke up for any reason he was done. He didn't sleep through the night once until he was nearly four. Neither did I. =D
    We use it almost nightly. We dissolve it into milk or apple sauce or a smoothie. He doesn't swallow pills well and these dissolve quickly. it isn't a drug like benedryl so it will only work to put the child to sleep it won't keep him that way. But it isn't addictive and doesn't leave a medicine head or hang over effect the next morning.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had the same problem as Jeremysmom- except it was with me. I had a lot of very vivid, very horrible nightmares when I was on melatonin. I woke up more than once crying or in a cold sweat because of it, but I was 19, so I'd be very cautious in giving it to a child, and the first time my kid had a bad nightmare on it, I'd stop and look for an alternative.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I just read Jeremysmom comment. I didn't know that, or at least nothing in my research turned that tidbit up. We have never experienced it. If anything the night terrors that started when he was 10 mos old leveled off and disappeared completely. Haven't had any issues with bad dreams since.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would agree with babylove76. We use the 3mg split in half and then up dose up if needed, maybe on nights where he is super hyped. We also tend to let him go melatonin free during the summer when his sleeping patterns won't affect him as much.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2010