Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

inconsistent parental visitation and intereference law

my daughter sees her father MAYBE once every 3 months. it is so bad when she sees him (emotional for her, especially with all the name calling he does of myself and step-dad). the order is for one night per week, and every other saturday night. this hasnt been followed for 3+ years. i dont want to let him see her anymore as the inconsistency and emotional damage from the game she plays are just too much for my 8 year old to handle. do i have any rights? or will i be held in contempt of court for withholding visitation?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I wouldn't. Just go back to family court and let them know what has been going on. If you do then that maybe held against you. Do it the right way and go back to court.You do not need a lawyer

    Answer by Christinemg0813 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

  • Everytime he misses a court ordered visitation document it. Also document all the name calling and anything else he does that hurts your child then take him back to court and get his rights taken away.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

  • you need to go to your local prothonataries office and ask for a form to fill out for an emercengy visitation hearing and get your butt back into court and tell the judge what is gong on make as many notes as you can with dates that things happened if you can remember take it with you and good luck

    Answer by jodi205 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

  • If it is a court order you can not withhold her from him. I know what you mean, My daughter sees her father every three to four months. She is 4 years old....One thing I will say is that she has grown into this...She knows that she lives with mommy and that daddy lives in another state.
    You need to remember the courts will do what is in the best interest of the child, and not seeing your husband is not the best interest of your child.
    I would seek outside help from someone who knows more about your rights and what can be done.

    Answer by Dannee at 11:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

  • You need to document every missed visitation. Keep a record -- use a calendar or a journal. Keep it factual. If he calls 10 minutes after he's already late, write it all down. When he shows up, write down the time he shows up, the time he leaves. Do this for at least 6 months. You need to have actual dates and times not speculation. Abandonment usually is at least 6 months of no contact no visits. Talk to your lawyer about it, obviously. Keep in mind, its not about your rights - its about whats best for your daughter. -- Also, have you spoken with him about visiting more regularly for her? Have you tried to handle it? This is your daughters flesh and blood - like it or not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.