How do I get my three year old to stop biting her nails?

Idk why she is doing this... My mom said she thinks it's something they do when they are "stressed" but I don't know what she would be "stressed" about, besides the new baby coming... any advice?

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 9:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I went through the same thing when I was a child.I bit my nails.I wasn't stressed.Guess it was just somthing to do.lolI continued to bite my nails as I got older,then it was just a habit.But I'm 34 yrs old now and I outgrew it.=)
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Grow your nails out and make them really pretty. (paint them and file them) and tell her that if she leaves hers alone that you can make hers pretty too. Maybe a little incentive will work?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have always bit my nails...still do. It used to drive my parents nuts.

You did say a new baby was on the way and that could be the cause I guess, if it is stress and not just a habit. Have you bought the polish you can paint on her nails that tastes bad? I have seen it at drug stores.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My 3 yo ds bites his nails, he always has! (Since he's had teeth lol) I think some people are just nail biters. My dh and I aren't, but my mother is and so is MIL. I am stressed to the max at times and I've never chomped a nail, so I really think it's just a habit. Maybe redirecting and the nasty tasting polish to discourage it. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010