• In the Spotlight:

bonding with an 8 year old

any suggestions on how to bond with my daughter? we used to be really close and it seems like now resentment is building (due to an 18 month old sibling) . any suggestions would be great. single mom with little to no babysitting options for allone time with her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is the same, some days are better than others, I find what really helps is if we do chores together or homework together. Sometimes sittin watching tv I'll make her sit by me and let the baby play in the crib, or talk to her while I'm bathin baby she loves being the helper. Hope this helps
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I believe there is always time for alone time with a child. Surely the young one naps or goes to bed earlier than the 8 yr old. Make it her time after the wee one goes to bed. Quality time doesn't have to be a lot of time. Just make her feel special and reassure her that she rocks in your eyes. Praise her for the little things she does for you and when she does well in school. She just wants to know you still love her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2008